What happens if your generator is too small?

Lets say I have a Yamaha EF1000 that can put out 9a max. (Which I don't) And lets say my refrigerator draws 13a to start, and 1.5a to run. (Which it does) What will happen if I try to start the fridge off the genny?
I am guessing the generator will simply stall, with no harm to either. Is that right?
Now for the really foolish question... Any way to start the fridge off the undersized generator?
Toller wrote:

Well, it won't stall. But it will trip the breaker if you try to exceed the designed rating.
The EF1000 is rated at 6.67 amps(800VA) continuous, 8.3 amps(1000VA) surge.
It's just not going to start your fridge w/o assistance, like a sizeable inverter & a battery bank charged from the generator.
Rob
It may stall. We tried (just for giggles) to run a hobart MIG welder off my troy bilt 2500 watt generator. With the welder turned up to about 3/4 of capacity, pulled the trigger, and it killed the troy bilt engine.
--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one

One thing to consider;many modern refrigerators have a power-factor controller built in to increase energy efficiency.
How would the underpowered generator affect it?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

stall or trip breaker, in a very marginal operation it might harm the fridge by continious running undervolt.
wh not get a bigger generator or apartment sized fridge or inverther and run fridge off your vehicles battery with car running.
Toller wrote:

My money says it will start. Fridg motors take a fraction of a second to get up to speed and the gennie will likely coast right thru it.
Jim

the voltage may sag for a second. Usually there's a peak power limit spec,how much overload it can take and for how long.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Indeterminate. Depends on too many characteristics of too many devices.

If I had to pick one-and-only-one, I'd bet the cubic inch of air in front of your nose on Jim's outcome.
Max continuous amp ratings are usually in the ballpark.
Surge amp ratings are ???
Skoal, Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:36:50 GMT, Puddin' Man

It depends. Is the surge supposed to last 100 milliseconds, 4 weeks, or 24 months? <g>
One of a couple things can happen. Might trip the circuit breaker on the generator. But more likely, the thermal overload on the side of the compressor will trip, and then reset after a minute or two. So, the compressor on the refrig will keep trying to start but never quite will start.
A hard start kit for the fridge may help. Some appliance guys (like me!) occasionally use a boost kit for when the starting components of a compressor go bad.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

sent an email to the manufacturer asking about that, but they never replied.
My Honda EU2000 produces 13/16a, but the breaker is 20a. On an overload the engine "pauses". I don't know about the Yamaha, but I figured it was the same.

Yes. They will trip when they get hot by a overcurrent condition. On a frozen compressor this will occur within five seconds or so. It will cool and restart within a minute.
Then your house will laugh at your small generator and will find a man with a bigger generator.
OOH.... that's graphic!
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

The generator will not stall. The refrigerator will cause a undervoltage problem during startup. Since your generator is close to having enough power the fridge will start, although it will struggle initially.
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:25:56 +0000, Toller wrote:

Historically, refridgerator motors do not play well with brown outs. When you draw more amperage than the source is able to provide, you get a brown out. The voltage will simply start lowering. Many appliances will not function. Some will recieve damage.

For damage to occur,the "brownout" has to last for some time,while the V drop for a motor startup will only last for a brief time.Probably less than a minute. Motors are pretty durable.
electronics,OTOH....
So,if your fridge has microprocessor controls,then there could be a problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik