What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

Page 1 of 6
I have a desk lamp of the "brave little toaster" style which says to use a 60W bulb.
Inside the light, it 'says' 60 watts.

My wife insists on a 75 Watt flood, which gives the right amount of light, but it gets hot as blazes.
How much do you think 125% over the maximum matters?
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:56:39 PM UTC-7, Joe Mastroianni wrote:

You will know the answer when the fixture bursts into flame or your house burns down which ever comes first.

If you (she) insists on using an oversized bulb, be sure the socket is ceramic. If it is plastic, it will have a very short life as it will deteriorate quickly. Also, you may want to change the wire cord to a high temperature wire at least inside the lamp where the heat is. If the switch is part of the bulb socket, the heat may destroy it, it may be wiser to add a line switch on the cord to protect it.
If you don't want to start modifying the lamp, you may want to consider purchasing a new one that has the ceramic socket and switch located away from the bulb.

Silly answerer you really can't have B without also having A, so A. Final anwser.
On Friday, January 25, 2013 2:14:50 PM UTC-7, Cliff H wrote:

You're a pedantic person. Begone thou varlet. ==
On 01-25-2013 00:56, Joe Mastroianni wrote:

Get a CFL or LED for _more_ light, less heat.
--
Wes Groleau

Answer not a fool according to his folly,
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:47:57 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote:

In my experience, the LEDs are (still) too expensive, and I tried and failed with the CFLs.
The main problem with the CFLs is they stick out too far (for any decent wattage) so, what happens is that they blind you because you end up seeing the bright bulb outside the shield.
Also, that tip of the CFL sticking out tends to break off as these are desk lamps that are moved about.
I wonder if they make a high light output small length CFL?
On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:

When you factor in the cost of operation, LEDs are cheaper than incandescents.
May we see some figures, and cost projections, please?
I got a couple LED flood lights off Ebay, which were very disappointing. There are some which do a good job. At church they have put in some LED flood lights, the guy tells me they cost $40 or so per bulb, but they sure do a good job of lighting.
On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:

When you factor in the cost of operation, LEDs are cheaper than incandescents.
On Jan 25, 8:44am, "Stormin Mormon"

The big leap of faith is that you have to believe they are going to last decades in the typical application to recover the upfront cost. Given my experiences with CFL, I have good reason to doubt the longevity. If they crap out in two years, you're a big loser.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:53:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

What makes incandescent bulbs wear out? Oxidation of the filament, right?
What makes CFL bulbs wear out? Oxidation of the mercury inside?
What makes LED bulbs wear out? (something must be wearing out or they'd last forever)
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:07:07 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

No. The filament evaporates.

No. There are a few wearout mechanisms but the worst seems to be crappy capacitors. Fluorescents also have filaments (you can see the ends get dark from the deposited metal).

Heat. The junctions are pushing the limits of the material for any useful amount of light. Cheap knock-offs are worse.
She's going to redecorate the room before then.
The big leap of faith is that you have to believe they are going to last decades in the typical application to recover the upfront cost. Given my experiences with CFL, I have good reason to doubt the longevity. If they crap out in two years, you're a big loser.

is only used an average of an hour a day or less, the power savings will take the rest of your life to pay for the LED bulb.
I still like the LED option - regardless.
On 1/25/2013 3:41 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:

I found this one on a web search: http://www.myschoollights.com/products/20w-minitwist-cfl-replaces-75w-bulb
Specs say 4.3" high including base. That might not protrude from the shade of your lamp.
I know nothing about this web site but if the bulb is made by Westinghouse, you can probably find it at many vendors.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:41:49 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

This is just a guess but I bet LED's are cheaper than rebuilding your house after it burns down.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:39 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

The type of bulb you are using is probably not giving the light the way you want it. Use a plain incandescent and it will diffuse more rather than hit a localized spot.
Better is to buy a new desk light with a flat fluorescent bulb. Mine is four short tubes and gives a nice white bright light. I think mine was about $25.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe I do need to go back to the plain old-style 100W tungsten bulb.
This is what the CFL looks like (see how it sticks out).
Front view:

Side view:

NOT IN THAT FIXTURE!! Read my other post in this thread...
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:56:39 +0000 (UTC), Joe Mastroianni

75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned on January 1 of this year. If this is what you're using, you are in violation of the law. Since you posted this to a public newsgroup, your local law officers as well as the FBI know what you're doing. You will likely be arrested in the next 24 hours. The penalty is something like $5000 and 30 days in prison. YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE!
Install a 75W equivalant CFL bulb and the heat wont be a problem, and you will be legal. You can even use a 100W equivalant CFL. (Then get rid of those 75W incandescent bulbs before the cops arrive.)