What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

Page 3 of 4
On 10/26/2011 4:30 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

All providers must comply with at least the HIPAA privacy rules. Other parts of HIPAA have to do with billing electronically but in many cases insurers only accept electronic billing.

even
mad
covers
This is a backwards office that still uses typewriters and a paper appointment book. How can I figure out if they're bound by HIPAA without asking the dentist directly? It's clear I'm going to have to address this and I'd like to follow the rule of being forewarned and forearmed when I talk to them.
-- Bobby G.
<... sad and disturbing storey snipped...>

Not as slowly as I'd like.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:32:55 -0400, "Robert Green"

Only if the valet has the dealer's programmer, otherwise he would need two keys.
On 10/26/2011 10:32 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I heard about that but I am pretty sure it doesn't exist.
Got an email from Verizon Wireless last week. "Dear xxxxxx, WE VALUE YOUR PRIVACY, so we are informing you that we record all URLs you visit, all searches you make and the results of those searches and the location of your device.
We are allowing you to OPT OUT of the use of this information to build reports."
Nice way to show how they value my privacy. What honest company records all activities of their paying customers? What honest company uses opt out?
I called and the "executive assistant" person couldn't understand why anyone would be offended. Then another person called back to let me know that "at&t" does it too...

wrote in message news:4ea802d9$0$28453

valet
key,
later,
alleged
They
"call
ask
steamed
who
at
"No"
its
eligible
surely
Yeah, SURE they do.

Note that you can't opt out of them collecting it, just *using* it to "build reports."

out?
When our businesses and politicians see how well the Chinese internet model suppresses dissent, we'll move more and more towards it.

Yes. I just called Verizon about getting faster internet and they offered me a "special price" that was the same as the ad in the county free newspaper. Most young'uns seem AOK with having their position and every their every activity tracked by Big Brother. Not me.
-- Bobby G.
On 10/27/2011 5:27 AM, Robert Green wrote:

First thing I spotted. "opt-out" always reflects arrogance. But a do nothing opt-out is even more arrogant.
The first VZW person I spoke with happily told me I could "opt-out" and no data would be collected. I read her the exact language of the email and asked why it was different than her claim.

Mandatory tracking and data gathering without a judges order is just plain wrong.
VZW is being paid to provide a bridge between your device and the Internet. It is none of their business what you carry across the bridge. This is directly analogous to a toll bridge operator requiring you to get out of your vehicle and empty your pockets and open all doors so they could inventory what you are bringing across the bridge.

On 10/25/11 3:31 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

It is a common mis-understanding that what gets "programmed" is the key. Wrong. The car's computer is programmed to accept that specific new key (or keys) individual PIN code, which any new key is provided with in it's packaging.
Same for remote controls, which is why the used ones people buy on eBay etc (and don't get a code) end up being paperweights.
When I worked at a dealer, we had many cases of people losing their last key, and car had to be towed to nearest dealership for programming a new key.
Also re these new remote keys, we did have a case where guy went to airport, got out of car, it kept running til it ran out of gas while he was gone.
Reed wrote:

Yes, however there is truth to needing active keys to program a new one. On some Fords at least, you can program new keys yourself as long as you have two current active keys to use in the process, if you don't have active keys you have to get the vehicle to the dealer and have them use the VCM/IDS setup to program new keys.

Yes, which is why I recommend getting extras when you get the vehicle and storing them somewhere safe. If I loose my current keys I still have two stored away so I'm both not stuck, and I can still program more keys myself.

Yep, and you can also accidentally unlock the vehicle you just locked if other stuff in your pocket presses the button while you're walking away.

Okay. $75 isn't a bad 1-time insurance premium to pay to make sure I've always got an original. That seems to be the "key" to the whole chipped key problem. Life is *probably* going to be easier if you either have the code number and a plain metal key or a spare chipped key - or both. Thanks!
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

When I got extra chip keys when I got my F350 I paid $8/ea cut by the dealer and I did the programming.
<stuff snipped>

What do you program a key with? I have a lot of slots on my PC, but no car keyholes. (-:
I'd prefer to pay $8 instead of $80, obviously, but it depends on what a programmer costs. What's the deal?
Thanks for your input!
-- Bobby G.
wrote in message news:4ea80250$0$28458

The vehicle itself does the programming with you inserting the two programmed keys, and then the new, unprogrammed key. Here's a video showing how:
http://fullerisford.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/instructions-and-videos-on-programming-ford-pats-keys /
wrote in message news:4ea80250$0$28458

showing
http://fullerisford.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/instructions-and-videos-on-programming-ford-pats-keys /
Way cool. I have no idea if that works for a 2002 Chrysler or where I'd get a blank from, but it does give me a good idea of what to look for. Thanks!
-- Bobby G.
wrote in message news:4ea80250$0$28458

http://fullerisford.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/instructions-and-videos-on-programming-ford-pats-keys /
It's almost identical for Chrysler & Jeep - very easy - but you have to do it exactly as described. Sometimes, it will take several tries before you get it right - Been There Done That
http://www.ehow.com/how_7177296_program-chrysler-transponder-keys.html
There are several sellers on Ebay that sell Chrysler/Jeep security keys
Robert Green wrote:

The programming procedure has you inserting various current and new keys, turning them on / off, tapping the brake and standing on your head :) You need two current active keys to perform the process, but it doesn't require any special tools.
Robert Green wrote:

I got my extra keys from the dealer where I got the truck, they cut them and I programmed them.

Yes. The alternate procedure with the dealer's VCM/IDS setup which does not require any active keys even has a 15 minute waiting period before you can program new keys after connecting.
On 10/25/2011 6:07 PM, Reed wrote:

I think that applies for sure for "standard" replacement keys.
There are key chip programmers that can clone a key. The local ACE has one right at the CS desk.

That seems to be the preferred starting point for avoiding a trip to the dealer and getting a cheaper key made at a TruValue or HoPo.
-- Bobby G.

Thanks for not guessing! (-;
FWIW, I read an article a while back that said out-of-town referral companies were gaming Google and were "muscling in" on the city locksmith trade by implying they were local when they were really an hour or more away. They did it by buying telephone numbers in different areas of the city to give them recognizable exchanges that people would call believing they were in that very area. The catch was that they were all remote call forwarded to the one location the guy had in town that sometimes was very far away. I believe I read it in the SF Chronicle when checking on whether they really could pass a law making baby weenie whacking (circumcision) against the law. Now that's really nanny-state thinking.
Anyway that was a few months ago and when I went to the Yellow pages tonight to call a locksmith (as I believe you suggested!) I saw a suspicious series of ads and realized I was probably seeing the same thing in the Yellow Pages that article described: One locksmith that was working hard to appear that he was local and close by to answer the call when he really wasn't. That's close to fraud, IMHO, and just shows you have to know what questions to ask.
I always ask call center people what country there are in. Many refuse, some are proud to say (mostly India), more are saying "America" than there used to be and some don't understand any question that is not on their menu. If they fail that test, I ask directly "Are you located in America?" When you introduce a language complication into an already difficult technical support situation, it almost never gets any better.
-- Bobby G.