What hand tool brands are the best quality?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 08:22:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 11:11:41 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wro te:

I think the word "professional" is gone the way of the dinosaur. 50 years a go there was a huge respect for OTR semi-drivers...you could find a mechani c that wasn't a hack. Even my mechanic uses his ratchet for a breaker bar o r a std. socket in air tool! Most work I do myself... The "good guys" have all gone...if you find one, you're lucky!
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 10:56:54 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 14:12:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I have mostly Craftsman. Don't use them enough anymore to comment on them, but used them when I was a packaging machine mechanic, and to rebuild a couple engines. They did fine. No complaints. The major "quality" difference in wrenches is their "feel." A narrow edge is hard on the hand. Bulky ratchet heads can limit where you work. You might prefer a more freely turning ratchet. For example, machine screws generally offer less resistance than course threads. Craftsman screwdrivers have likewise suited my hands. I like the handles, and the square shanks on the flat bladed, and have grabbed them with pliers more than once. Though they're not hollow ground, they have less taper than many other brands, and I always have one that fits the screw well. I have a lot of them. Irwin ViseGrips are the only brand I'll buy, Ridgid pipe wrenches, and Channel Lock water pump pliers, though I had a nice Craftsman set. My son is a truck suspension mechanic, and puts wrenches to hard use. He's been using a set of HF Pittsburgh wrenches for years - because they've lasted. And he buys HF impact sockets too. They last as long as the others but are inexpensive. Of course he has his share of Snap-on, Mac and Matco. But he doesn't get romantic with any brand.
On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 3:14:51 AM UTC-6, Vic Smith wrote:

Eooooooooooo! A whole new meaning for "hand tools"! 📐

Both Proto and S-K tools are still of very high quality.

That's an oxymoron. Quality cost $$$$.
nb
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

best tool i ever found was made by Graystone. someone lost it and walking one day i found it along the road. what i can't believe is that i also found the attachment that converts it so that it fits most of my other sockets.
looks great, feels perfect in my hand, works when i need it.
and even better, if anyone bugs me it's so heavy it'd hurt if i whapped them with it...
songbird
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc Sun, 22 Nov 2015 20:12:45 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I don't do much auto repair. I do have Kobalt, Klein, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Stanley, Stanley Bostitch (the heavier duty stuff?) Ideal, etc.
Although, If I have a need for a particular tool, I will spend the money to have the better (maybe not go for the absolute best) one. It's a waste of money and potentially dangerous to buy a tool that's cheaply made and unreliable. It might not even last long enough to complete the original job you bought it for use with. I understand that quality costs.
I am very pleased with my Kobalt tools, though. Returning a busted Kobalt tool (screwdriver) wasn't any trouble at all. It reminded me of dealing with Sears concerning Craftsman years ago-- When lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools really meant that. It doesn't apply to any electrical device. Be it a tester, a meter, or, a power tool.
AFAIK, Meters at one point were covered under lifetime warranty. I distinctly remember returning an old one that failed years ago for a newer model (they no longer carried the exact one I had) and they didn't charge me anything for it.
I pulled a Ghost Busters no no. Crossed phases inside an electrical panel and burnt the screwdriver tip and some of the shaft up as a result. They replaced it without hassle of any kind and I told them I did this to it. I went and got another one just like it and they told me to have a pleasant day.
I've used the old one before I killed it as well as it's replacement it to free some really tight screws too, torqued the hell out of others with them, they haven't even so much as chipped in the slightest little bit. I've chipped a stanley flathead doing less. rofl
I broke the top! about a 1/4 of an inch from the front (just the top) tip right off of my klein crimp/cutters pulling old staples the wrong way. local Klein dealer replaced it with a brand new one, no question asked.
I wrecked a pair of GB strippers/cutters by accidently (damnit) cutting into a live wire. Replaced without question at Lowe's.
--
Error: Creative signature file missing