What Good Are Pilot Holes?

Use a deck screw that drills and has lube right on it. (I always thought a pilot hole was used to center with a small drill bit...so your larger bit would have the "pilot" to follow.)
The hammer routine, where I came from, was called a "Philadelphia Screwdriver." Under certain circumstance, works fine. Do the final tightening with a screwdriver, however.
Oh, I like to use liquid dishwashing detergent as a lubricant. Just plain bar soap works well also.
On 2/17/2011 9:51 PM, deadgoose wrote:

Yeah, I grew up doing that as well. It has a downside, though- if the wood gets damp, you can get nasty stains around the screwhead. Candle stub or beeswax is better, if available. Lubes better and non-staining.
-- aem sends...

Wire lube or teflon pipe dope works also.

Not true. Wood only moves aside so far without crushing. Crushed wood fibers provide a weak grip. If the hole is about the size of the solid part of the screw the threads cut into the wood and provide good grip without weakening the surrounding wood.
Gary
On 2/17/2011 3:07 PM, Gary Sokolisch wrote:

I select a pilot bit by holding the bit over the screw and seeing if the bit shaft obscures the shaft of the screw and not the threads. A touch of saw wax on the screw threads makes it easy to drive into the wood.
TDD
On 2/17/2011 4:07 PM, Gary Sokolisch wrote:

Pilot holes are classic good workmanship that prevent splitting and lower stress on the fastener when it is inserted. Only the screw threads need to grab something.
Gary Sokolisch wrote:

Home Depot has ready made pilot holes so you don't have to drill them yourself any more. Look for them at the end of the hardware aisle.
On Feb 18, 12:40pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Lowes has them with the screw already in the pilot hole.
Sweet!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

yeah, but they're cheap chinese screws. you might try mcfeeley's for good old US made ones. you can get them with bronze and stainless steel screws too.
Airplane pilots need to take a shit too.... Thats what pilot holes are for.....
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:07:49 -0600, Ex-Alcoholic#213836.5 wrote:

My wife is a Pilot. Her pilot 'hole' is very good.
On Feb 19, 4:32pm, "Stormin Mormon"

This is the only amusing comment you have ever made...congratulations!