What Good Are Pilot Holes?

snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net...

re: "...and coat the screw with candle wax"

Grandpa always had a beat up bar of soap in his toolbox

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They are holes in clouds so the pilot has an easier job to fly the plane in T-storms.

Reply to
ktos

messagenews:4d5d9883$0$4279$ snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net...

re: "...and coat the screw with candle wax"

Grandpa was a soap boxer? (-"

- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net...

My dad was a carpenter in the 1950's and he used the bar soap method.

I frequently use a small finish nail to make a pilot hole in soft wood; drive it in half-way with a hammer then remove. Hard woods get drilled.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Wire lube or teflon pipe dope works also.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Pilot holes are classic good workmanship that prevent splitting and lower stress on the fastener when it is inserted. Only the screw threads need to grab something.

Reply to
George

Home Depot has ready made pilot holes so you don't have to drill them yourself any more. Look for them at the end of the hardware aisle.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Lowes has them with the screw already in the pilot hole.

Sweet!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

yeah, but they're cheap chinese screws. you might try mcfeeley's for good old US made ones. you can get them with bronze and stainless steel screws too.

Reply to
chaniarts

legroups.com...

...about as funny as a screen door in a submarine.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Even with pine, the fastening will be stronger when the right sized pilot hole is used. Without a pilot hole the wood fibers are torn, weakening the wood in that area. A screw into the properly sized pilot hole will separate the fibers (for the threads) without breaking them.

Reply to
krw

Airplane pilots need to take a shit too.... Thats what pilot holes are for.....

Reply to
Ex-Alcoholic#213836.5

My wife is a Pilot. Her pilot 'hole' is very good.

Reply to
Teredo

This is the only amusing comment you have ever made...congratulations!

Reply to
Bob Villa