what goes underneath a tiled shower floor?

I would like to replace my present shower floor, which is a molded prefab pan made of polymer, and replace it with a tiled floor. My question is: what goes underneath the tiled floor? Do I need to install a pan? I went to Home Depot yesterday and the guy there showed me some sheeting material about 3/16 in. thick or so can be placed below the tile. Is this the standard approach?

Supratik

Reply to
Supratik Guha

If we're lucky Art's rotting corpse.

Reply to
Ajays HomeRepair

Hire a pro. He will need to install a different drain assembly, a water-proof membrane to approx 10" up the walls and float a proper mortar bed. This membrane (which is not 3/16" thick) must have no cuts or holes in it at the corners and out over the curb. Not a novice job.

the_plumber

Here is the best link for doing it correctly: (watch line wrapping)

HTH,

John

Reply to
John Kebert