What gauge wire?

I am off grid. Last year I built a shop powered by generator through an Inverter. The inverter supplys power through a 200 amp power panel to circuits in the shop. I am now building a house about 40 feet from the shop. What gauge wire would I need to use? Should I direct power through the existing panel with breakers to a subpanel in the house or run a new panel directly from the inverter? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
dsmith707

I would at least put in a large conduit so you can pull large wires later if you ever get on the grid. Then I would use wire that could handle the inverter's output whatever that may be.

Reply to
Pat

You first have to determine the load of the house, then run feeders accordingly. Typical small house, with non electric cooking and heating will require a 100 amp line, and a garden variety 3000 ft house will require a

200 amp line. If this house is always going to be fed from a generator, it may make sense to power it from a separate disconnect fed by the system
Reply to
RBM