What gauge is this extension cord

I have a 100' extension cord from the junk, and I wondered if there is a way to tell what gauge the wire is. The ends are molded on so I can't see the wire.
I only know that it is a lot heavier than my current 100' extension cord, but I don't know what gauge that one is. Also, sometimes they make things thicker and maybe heavier just by adding more rubber/vinyl.
And it has W-8 embossed on one end. I searched on W-8 'electric cord' and got two good hits but they were just about cords being recalled, and they said they cost between 6 and 90 dollars depending on length and gauge. So I guess W-8 doesn't tell me anything.
Is there any way to know?

Sure, measure one wire with an Ohm meter and check a table like this: http://www.interfacebus.com/Reference_Cable_AWG_Sizes.html
or: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/wire_resistance.html
Al
Big Al wrote:

If you've got an accurate ohmmeter, you can do as the above. Otherwise, go to a hardware store and look at what they've got that's equally fat with the same sort of insulation That may give you some indication of the wire gauge.

I'm assuming you've checked along the length of the insulation to see if it's printed/stamped on that... yes?
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Great charts, especially the first one. I should be able to get a decent reading. I'll check what the old one is too. Thanks.

mm wrote:

Measuring the resistance of the 100-ft cord would give you the following example readings:
12AWG, 0.1619 ohms 14AWG, 0.2575 ohms 16AWG, 0.4094 ohms 18AWG, 0.6510 ohms
Unless you have a milli-ohm meter, you might have a hard time getting an accurate reading. Something else to try would be to measure the voltage drop by connecting a 1500W space heater to it. The approximate voltage drop based on the formula V=I x R would be:
12AWG, ~2V 14AWG, ~3V 16AWG, ~5V 18AWG, ~8V
mm wrote:

The cord type and gauge should be embrossed or printed along the jacket, about every foot or two (I don't remember the minimum distance)
Bob