What Garage Paint from Home Depot?

"why not $1 gallon?" Makes no sense.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sorry Jeff.. but I have to disagree with you on a large scale here. I admit, I did not see that he was painting fresh drywall until I read a little lower in the thread BUT I still stand on what I said.

We bought this house 3 1/2 years ago.. I had to remove layers of wallpaper and then it was time to paint. They had not primed the walls prior to painting and it has been an absolute nightmare in each and every room. I'll tell you what happens when you DON'T prime over fresh sheetrock:

The paint peels off of the joint compound any time you put masking tape on it.. say for doing trim. Yes, a pro can cut in with a brush, and I'm pretty doggone good at it BUT there are just times when it's faster and cleaner to mask the edges off. It is an unstable, dusty type of surface (even when you wipe it with a damp cloth first) and paint simply does not adhere to it properly. A coat of Kilz will help block mildew and will seal the surface so that if he later decides to do something else the paint is firmly stuck to the walls and he won't spend days and weeks like we did patching and smoothing the places where the GD paint peeled off at the joints and seams - ceiling line - along door jambs - corners and so on.

On another note, I say if you get pre-primed molding, do the same thing, sand it and prime it before you paint it. If the primer that's on it is cheap, you'll have a problem with it peeling then too... Go on ahead.. ask me how I know this. I'll show you the callouses from fixing this mess.

Kate O|||||||O

This isn't necessary. Especially the sanding - "scuffing" drywall isn't a good idea. And Kilz isn't necessary either. There really isn't much good reason not to simply put on 2 coats of whatever finish paint you want, assuming it's of good quality with a decent amount of solids in it.

Reply to
Kate