What for??

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?
KC
KC writes:

Speed control via voltage, while torque is independently controlled by current.
You may have a "universal" type motor, not necessarily DC.

AC comes into a bridge rectifier attached to the motor. The output of the bridge goes to the motor. I am assuming that is a DC driven motor, but with no apparent way of varying the voltage. Constant torque for varying loads???
KC
KC writes:

You mean varying torque for constant speed. Yes.

That's what I meant. Load increases > current increases > torque increases > speed remains the same.
KC
KC wrote:

You can use something like an autotransformer to vary the voltage to the motor. Or a variable resistor. Or a PWM controller.
Yours aye, W. Underhill
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

Your statement is unclear. Did you trash it as you said, or is it still there?
You're going to have to come down to the station and make a statement.
If you can't afford counsel, one will be appointed for you.
But this is serious, so you have no right to keep silent.
Lieutenant Friday
People for the Ethical Treatment of Appliances Regional Enforement Agent

About 5 to 10 years. Better get a lawyer.

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:57:17 -0700, KC wrote:

You could put a propeller on it it and build an airplane to fly around in.

Or turn it into a wind mill and charge batteries. ;)
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Just Joshin wrote:

How much do you charge? Is there a separate rate for little batteries?
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
With a DC motor, you can spin the shaft, and it puts out electricity.
Put the shaft against the wheel of an exercise bike, and keep batteries charged?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
KC wrote:

Mailbox opener.

OK, stop screwing around and throw that thing out. While you're at it, clean your room.
KC wrote: ...

Battery(ies) as power supply w/o inverter comes to mind...

Probably the right size to make an edger out of it.

Or wait for the motor to "just look" at him with those "sad brushes" and say something else to enlighten him.

-- Oren