What First - Paint Or Carpet

I need to paint and recarpet several rooms. What should come first painting or carpet?
Thanks.
IC
On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:04:45 -0700, IC_Clearly wrote:

Paint.
If you don't remove the old carpet until the painting is completed you won't have to use drop cloths.
Richard Kaiser
IC_Clearly wrote:

1. remove old carpet and pad. (leave tack strips if not damaged) 2. paint 3. recarpet
(this way you can paint baseboards easily, can drag old carpet out without worrying about new paint, and who cares if paint gets on old subfloor)
BE SURE, to take samples of new carpeting choices to the paint store with you, when picking out your colors.
-- read and post daily, it works! rosie
yesterday has forever passed, and tomorrow will forever elude us. today is the only day we have. today, I will try to start fresh, free of the burdens of yesterday...............................n.wing

And compare colors under the same lighting conditions that will prevail in your home. Colors that look good together under fluorescent light may look like crap together under incandescent light or daylight.
Reed wrote:

Ditto that. I would not want to take out old carpet with a brand new paint job; I know I would ding something. Painting baseboards and trim with new carpet in place would be a very dicey matter - very difficult to get a good paint job AND keep paint off the carpet. If it is only walls, no trim, still would make me nervous for fear of spilling paint on the new carpet.

painting
Is this a real question?

Quite real. Why do you ask?
--
IC

This is Turtle.
Stu , please leave him alone. he has triggered my fun mode here.
TURTLE

painting
This is Turtle.
Please forgive me here for fun mode has been triggered.
Yes do carpet it first so you can get the paint all over the new carpet and call it a designer carpet room.
TURTLE
This is IC,
So, I guess it is your contention that there will be no painting anywhere on the planet in any room that has flooring. Ummm..... Seems there is going to be a hell of a lot of carpet ripped out. Can you imagine what this will do to the environment? Every a paint brush is applied to an inside wall --- poof, there goes the carpet!
By the way, do I need to remove the grass outside for exterior painting?
This is IC

and

You are right, it is a boon to the carpet industry.

You are obviously taking lessons from the new Arizona Cardinals football stadium being built here, where the grass is on wheels and can simply be wheeled to another location when e.g. you want to park cars there for a car show and don't want to put tracks on the grass.
That said, I have a house where the baseboards go all the way down to the slab, and painting the interior is a @%@!#$ in the carpeted areas, due to the need to mask off the carpet edges. Carpet gets stuck in the paint on the baseboards, drop cloths get propelled by springing carpet and end up sticking to walls, it's a mess. The easiest way to handle this task is to simply remove the carpet. Or move the baseboards up so that the carpet goes below them rather than against them, but that is not easily possible on my house (solid plaster-on-CBU exterior walls, with a treated nailer strip at the very base embedded in the concrete to fasten the baseboards to).
--
Eric Lee Green mailto: snipped-for-privacy@badtux.org