What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway?

Hello,

Iam looking for a driveway deicer which will not ruine the asphalt blacktop, concrete sidewalk and safe to environment.

I did tried using NaCl salt (Sodium Chloride salf for the watersoftener), but the concrete sidewalk shows signs to wither, so I stoped immediately. I also tried using Calcium Chloride which didnt do any harm to blacktop or concrete, but the following spring the flower inflower bed didnt bloom well.

think it sould be of Calcium chloride (CaCl) type instead of Sodium Chloride (NaCl Common Salt etc). I dont want to melt it rightaway but to give tracking when children walk on black ice.

Actually thinking of using sand, but do they come in bags or messy to use? Where to get cheaper? Would be better to buy in bags and stock up in garage.

Appreciate anyone can share their experience.

Sam

Reply to
sams

Depending on the lowest temperature you have to deal with urea may be your best bet. This is also sold as carbamide resin, isourea, carbonyl diamide, or carbonyldiamine.

It's also a good nitrogen rich fertilizer.

There are a number of reasons for not using salt (NaCl) particularly if you have a septic system and clay soil. Flowers don't like a high chloride ion concentration. That's why watering your garden with sea water is not a good idea.

Boden

sams wrote:

Reply to
EL