What does this symbol mea

M > What does this symbol mean, almost = ? M > M > I bought a used Diamond external modem made in Canada that has by the M > jack for the power input: 6v = . This is all it had. M > M > Looking more closely at what seemed to be an equal sign I saw that, M > enlarged, to take up 2 lines instead of just one: it looked like this: M > M > _____ M > . _ . M > M > What does this symbol mean? It's either AC or DC but no one I've M > asked is sure. If it's DC, is the center pin positive or negative?

I would say it means +6vDC. (Would be -6vDC if the line was below.)

The other thing to be concerned with is the (milli)amperage -- how much the modem draws. Your replacement power supply can be able to supply more current than the device (modem) demands -- IOW if the modem uses 50 mA you can use a power supply of 50 mA or more (so a

75mA power supply would be OK but a 40 mA one would not).

  • Did you know there is a page 666 in The Bible?
Reply to
barry martin

That's the ISO (European) symbol for DC power. It has the voltage listed next to it, in your case 12V and may also have the max current listed. If it was AC it would be a "~" over a straight line IIRC. DC is " - - -" over a straight line "___" These are commonly seem on items which bear a CE mark (somewhat similar to UL or CSA in North America).

Often the center pin is positive, but by no means always, and the symbol does not address that.

The other very common ISO sympols you will see is a circle for OFF "O" and a vertical line "|" for ON e.g. a toggle switch, or a vertical line *in* the circle for ON/OFF e.g. a rotating switch; then there's a horizontal rectangle with a horiz line thru it for a fuse (with the fuse type, amperage and min voltage rating printed next to it. There are others, a lightling bolt with an arrowhead at the bottom for hazardous voltages, and exclamation point in a triangle for something you should pay attention to or take note of.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel