What Does My Finger Weigh?

Perhaps those posters were unprincipled.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Yes, easily determined by displacement. Fill the cup, measure the water loss. No matter the density or buoyancy it will equal the weight of the water displaced. The hard part is cutting the finger off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That won't tell you the finger's weight, but the finger's displacement.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Thank you for pointing this out. My apology! :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Maybe they didn't even finish primary school? Or maybe they didn't study about science but pure arts?

Or maybe they hate science? :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

I haven't revised my physics for 20 years. But from my memory, it's about buoyed objects.

A finger, when cut, may float though. Pardon the cruelty! :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

The weight of the water is equal to the weight of the finger if it floats. The specific gravity of the human body is roughly 0.98 a bit less than water, thus the ability to float.

Women can float, but young men sometimes cannot, chubby people can.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm truly surprised at some of the answers here whose home repair advice is otherwise sound.

They say that nearly twenty percent of the people are functionally illiterate and I've always contended that technical illiteracy is much higher.

Reply to
Frank

Yes and it was a good response that others here should read.

Reply to
Frank

So true! I mean, clearly a pound of solit lead weighs more than a pound of feathers...and feathers float on water.

Reply to
Colonel Sanders

I was trying to get the scoop on the total weight of the Hindenberg structural material, equipment, payload, including the Hydrogen or worse yet Helium as raw material. Put it all together and get the density right and it floats away on the breeze.

Are the passengers (payload) weightless? I don't think so. :)

Reply to
FromTheRafters

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message news:nqiqib$tcf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Gotta add this comment to my explanation. The free floating finger chunk will add to the scale the weight of water displaced by it. Pushing it in so that the mark is at waterline adds a little bit more to the scale reading. Just like when it was still attached.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

notbob posted for all of us...

Not any on my fingers because I eat them. Is there anything wrong with that?

Reply to
Tekkie®