What Does My Finger Weigh?

Page 2 of 2
On 9/5/2016 10:09 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Yes, easily determined by displacement. Fill the cup, measure the water loss. No matter the density or buoyancy it will equal the weight of the water displaced. The hard part is cutting the finger off.
On 9/5/2016 8:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That won't tell you the finger's weight, but the finger's displacement.
On 5/09/16 23:19, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I haven't revised my physics for 20 years. But from my memory, it's about buoyed objects.
A finger, when cut, may float though. Pardon the cruelty! :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
On 9/5/2016 11:19 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

The weight of the water is equal to the weight of the finger if it floats. The specific gravity of the human body is roughly 0.98 a bit less than water, thus the ability to float.
Women can float, but young men sometimes cannot, chubby people can.
On 9/5/2016 10:09 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I'm truly surprised at some of the answers here whose home repair advice is otherwise sound.
They say that nearly twenty percent of the people are functionally illiterate and I've always contended that technical illiteracy is much higher.
On 09/05/2016 02:31 PM, Frank wrote:

So true! I mean, clearly a pound of solit lead weighs more than a pound of feathers...and feathers float on water.
Colonel Sanders submitted this idea :

I was trying to get the scoop on the total weight of the Hindenberg structural material, equipment, payload, including the Hydrogen or worse yet Helium as raw material. Put it all together and get the density right and it floats away on the breeze.
Are the passengers (payload) weightless? I don't think so. :)
On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

BTW, all previous replies didn't mention Mr. Archimedes. Weird?
Because they all hated *ancient* Greeks? Islamic? :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
Mr. Man-wai Chang was thinking very hard :

Two of us said "Eureka" and I even posted a URL with Archimedes in the string.
On 5/09/16 22:56, FromTheRafters wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out. My apology! :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
On 9/5/2016 10:56 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Yes and it was a good response that others here should read.
On 9/5/2016 7:38 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Perhaps those posters were unprincipled.
On 5/09/16 22:59, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Maybe they didn't even finish primary school? Or maybe they didn't study about science but pure arts?
Or maybe they hate science? :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!