What does it mean when it does NOT say Top Rack Only?

What does it mean when it does NOT say Top Rack Only?

I have more plastic stuff to wash in the dishwasher than I used to and have often run out of space in the top rack, while the bottom rack might be half empty.

Things used to say Top Rack Only. If it doesn't say that, does it mean the bottom rack is okay too?

(And btw, has it ever been that much hotter on the bottom rack?)

My water suppply is cold and it has a built-in heater, on my 31-year old Kenmore/Whirlpool machine.

I'm thinking specifically of

The tall plastic glasses made 20 and 30 years ago with inner and outer pieces and air in between, that is, thermal plastic glasses and cups.

The plastic ice cube hopper that came with the fridge 30 years ago.

Moderately stiff, not vinyl, plastic ice cube trays, two of which came with the fridge 30 years ago, and two of which were bought 5 years ago.

The plastic containers that some Chinese takeout places use this year. Most still use the folded paper with wire hanger, and some a heavy tin foil bottom with a clear plastic top, but the two nearest me use high quality, clearly re-usable, with tight-fitting tops, not as flexible as tupperware and maybe one step down in cost or quality. (I could go ask them, but I've switched from one to the other, so I don't want to go into the first one, and I'm on a non-Chinese takeout diet for a month)

Nothing on any of these about Top Rack Only.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
mm

Everything in my kitchen is microwave and dishwasher safe. I melted all the other stuff years ago.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I've always put plastic on the bottom. Never had a problem with any of it in my KA machines over the years. Mostly it is stuff fro either Rubbermaid, Tupper, or some cheaper clones. Never melted any.

Sounds icky. Does it really get hot enough on every cycle? Most have a heater just to boost, not to heat.

Amazing they lasted that long under any circumstances. Usually the seal goes and they take on water.

Never washed a tray that I recall, but should be good to go.

Many of them will melt in hot enough water on any rack. That is the only type of container I've ever ruined in the machine as they are not made to be washed.

They are not made for re-use, but some can be. Consider it a bonus as the original design is disposable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The heater used in the dry cycle gets very hot and will melt plastic. During the water heating cycle it doesn't get as hot.

If you have a drying cycle selected it can.

Reply to
krw

This is all good to hear.

I think so. I almost never use it more than one cycle at a time.

When I bought the house I read the instruction manual, but I doubt I checked if it was connected to the right water pipe. Now that whole home appliance file folder is missing, but I'll check when I find it.

Once when it turned out a chicken bone (the thin one next to the drumstick) was keeping the machine from draining (amazingly. It was in the anti-siphon thing, and somehow because of that little bone, the machine wouldn't drain), once when I was trying to fix it, I kept running it through the same part-cycle over and over and the water got so hot it got so hot, a plastic salad bowl bent.

It might work like BobF says. I don't pay attention to how long it takes. I do try to note when it finishes because I open the door, pull out the racks and try to use the heat to dry off the dishes.

That has happened to most of the cups, but I use the tall ones very little. I still like them a lot though.

Okay.>

Okay.

Okay.

KRW said:

Oh, that's what they're talking about. I never saw much point to the dryer, and I've never used it. It might melt the plastic parts! Oh, this is where I came in.

There is a switch on the door to turn off the dish dryer heater, but the words that say which position is which are gone. I'm very careful not to touch the switch. :-) If I ever have the door apart, I'll disconnect the switch. (All the other markings around the knob are still there, but they are written on metal. I think the two dryer words and most of the brand name were written on plastic, and though I never used cleanser, even plain water on a paper towel might have taken them off after 20 years.)

Thanks a lot, and thanks to BobF, Met, and Krw.

Reply to
mm

You have too much stuff. Give some of it away.

Reply to
ktos

Most people don't know, but there is NO limit on how much you can take with you. Honest.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can't speak to these as I have none.

I would read the owners manual for the fridge and/or ice maker. My guess is that they didn't waste the money to imprint them since they are not something that gets wash all that often. Printing the instructions in a book is cheaper than imprinting each piece.

I can't speak to these as I have none. If I did, I would put mine on the top rack since I wouldn't to take a chance on them melting. I've had stuff melt in the dishwasher (and an electric stove). It's not pretty. Better safe than sorry.

Since these are sold to commercial places that don't have to wash them, the manufacturer probably doesn't care what happens to the containers once they reach the "end user".

I always put mine on the top rack since I don't want to take a chance on them melting. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm building myself a double-wide coffin for the extra storage space.

Reply to
mm

I having a double-wide urn made. I'll be taking my stuff with me, and in the same condition as me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's a good idea.

I have a laptop and a wifi receiver with a special ground-penetrating amplifier. Three percent of the second half of the coffin is devoted to movie DVDs. I coudl save space if I used solidstate storage, but I don't think it will last for eternity.

Reply to
mm

And my coffin is a little higher too, so I can lie on my side to watch the videos.

Reply to
mm