What does "eight inch minus rock" mean?

I called the local power company to ask them to fix an access road washout at a swale and they did fix the drainage ditches, saying it took them a long time and that they had to use "8 inch minus rock".

What's 8 inch minus rock anyway?

Reply to
Bob Stevens

On 9/14/2012 2:37 PM, Bob Stevens wrote: ...

All passes thru 8" square mesh out of crusher....

Reply to
dpb

Give it some more thought and consider if you were screening material for the maximum size that would pass with no regard for the minimum.

Reply to
George

I think the minus refers to smaller content anywhere down to fine particles.

Reply to
Frank

Got it!

Reply to
Bob Stevens

And the opposite kind of rock, "eight inch no minus", means that they seperate out the fines leaving you with only rock sized to eight inch size.

Since this requires additional steps, it is generally a little more expensive.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Nothing. It's 8" and smaller. Sand will fit through an 8" hole. ----