What Do You Think

My wife and I are having a disagreement on whether or not to purchase one of those Expensive ($3,200) garden sheds. (Looks like a minature house)She wants to buy it Regardless of the fact that we plan to sell our home in about six months.I do not want to have the thing dis-manteled and moved to our new home so, I want to wait!She says that this (minature house) will add to the selling value of our current home ... I am not so sure.Do these minature houses actually appreciate or add value to a home for sale?I REALLY have my doubts.Thanks Everyone

My opinion:
The shed will be a nice throw-in IF the new owner wants/needs it, but that person is unlikely to value it at more than a few hundred dollars. On the other hand, you may find a buyer who has absolutely no use for it.
It think your likely return on $3200 will be $500.
MC wrote:

Either she's dumb, or she doesn't believe you're going to sell the house. How important can it be to have the thing? No offense.
G Henslee wrote:

Oh and of course there's the other option: you're a big wuss..
A buyer might value it at a thousand or so; or they might put a negative value on it, figuring what it will cost to haul away and repair the lawn. Heck, it might just turn them off to even thinking about the house; it certainly won't charm them into buying it.
So, on the whole you would have to be crazy to put it up. But you already knew that, didn't you?
MC wrote:

Ask a realtor, but I would say that it would reduce the value of your home. I am sure you will not get $3,000 more because of it. Frankly if I were looking for a home and I saw something like that (I am not the cute type) I would deduct what it would cost me to dispose of it, and even then I would prefer a home that I did not need to bother with it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I think:
Toss a coin. Either a buyer would want it or wouldn't want it.
As for improving value, absolutely no. Temporary buildings (those built without a foundation) add nothing to the appraisal of a house, and it is a matter of argument with a buyer as to whether they add anything to the price. Yah, like you want to argue with a potential buyer.
You will recoup nowhere near the cost of the shed unless you find a buyer who wants it for an outbuilding or shop. That, in my experience, isn't most buyers.
And buy your wife some Dockers if she wants to be the man of the house.
Steve
IMO, at best it's a wash. Done properly it probably will add to the value and appeal but 3200 is a bit of a gamble if you're really gonna move. If you're loaded with money and want the wife to win one, go for it.
An inground swimming pool is the biggest gamble unless you live in an area where they are expected, like a nice suburb in Florida. In the fabulous midwest US most people don't want to mess with the things.
We sold our home last year and were going to take our Heartland garden shed with us.
The shed was a 10'x12' miniature of our victorian home.
The buyers Begged us to leave it and paid $4,500 for us to do so.
Original cost: $2,500
Landscape is Everything. You don't want the shed to look out of place and ..You DO need to have enough yard so that the shed wont over-run it , we had a 3/4 acre back yard.

Can't make a call sitting here. If you have a two acre yard, the shed may be a nice enhancement, but if the yard is two feet larger than the shed, you will lose out. I doubt you will get a big return on the investment though.
I can make a call sitting here. It's extremely unlikely that you will get back anywhere near the $3200 it's going to cost you. About the only way I can see it making any sense is if you have a garage full of junk and by adding the shed, you can move stuff from the garage and make it look bigger and more attractive. Different buyers will have their own ideas of whether they want a shed at all, what kind, what color, where it should go, etc. Rather than pay you a hefty price for a shed your wife happens to like, most are going to want to do their own thing.
Ask a real estate agent for an opinion.
I think a lot depends on the neighborhood. If these sheds are very common in the neighborhood, it could add value; if they are rare, it could detract from value. The only time I have seen a home addition or remodeling (other than cleaning the place up) add value was when my son and I built a pergola on his back patio. His home was the only one in the neighborhood (San Diego) that didn't have one, and when he refinanced a few months later, the appraiser said the pergola had added $1000 to the value of the house; not bad for less than $200 of materials and some sweat.
MC wrote:

Potential buyers who like sheds will like it. Potential buyers who don't like shed will not like it. You never know. I recently sold my house. It had a shed and a steep driveway. Some people didn't like the driveway and never looked at the house. Some didn't care about the driveway, but didn't like the shed. Someone thought both were fine and bought the house. Six months out from selling, I would spend $3200 on making anything that looks dirty clean again. That's the best way to appeal to everyone looking.
Why the heck would you need a shed for 6 months?
And why buy a $3200 shed? I built one a few years back for about $1500 -- and it's a pretty deluxe one. Could have spent a lot less. The prefab ones are either crappily built or a waste of money (or both) IMHO.
I seriously doubt you'd ever get your money back. If you take it with you then you'll be repairing the lawn. All in all it's a bad gamble. Why risk it for six months?? It's just crazy.
-Tim
I don't think this will add value to your property. Invest it in the bathroom or kitchen and you might see a return on your investment. ron