What do you cap a LP gas line with?

I shut off the propane gas line at the valve and removed the corrugated metal connections just past the valve to an old hotwater heater (which I took apart, just for the fun of it - but that's a different story).
One question: What do I *cap* the gas line off with?
I ask because the gas line is "safe" with the valve turned off, but the valve can be nudged by someone, and while it stinks immediately if you open that valve, it seems that I should cap off the gas line with a semi-permanent cap of some sort that has to be screwed off so that it won't accidentally open.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 19:28:59 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Either find a fitting that will cap the fitting which the corrigated pipe was on. Take the corrigated pipe to a hardware store and tell them you need a cap to fit. Or, the valves are usually just standard 1/2" or 3/4" pipe threads. Remove the adaptor that fits your corrigated pipe, and insert a 1/2 or 3/4" common pipe plug.
I agree, ALL gas pipes should be capped when not used. If something contacts the valve, it can be turned on. I know of one unoccupied home, where a raccoon got behind a stove which was still connected to the gas, but the valve was turned off. The coon turned on the gas, and some burners were open on the stove. The whole house was filled with gas, but fortunately there was nothing to ignite it, so nothing exploded or burned, but the people had a huge gas bill to pay.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Don't you want to flare off the excess gas? <g>
--
Tekkie

Screwed off, of course!
--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
says...

Go pleasure yourself with a turkey baster. LOL
--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
"Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote in message says...

Now that is viral question you use "CONDOM" am-cause slide it on the pipe and secure with C-clamp

Screwed off, of course!
--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 13:49:47 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

Thanks for the advice. It turned out to be easier than I thought to find the right fitting. Ace had it. Here's a picture of the "flare cap" in place on the extra hot water heater pipe that I removed.
http://i.cubeupload.com/8DIrwe.jpg
Thanks for your advice.
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:33:57 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

Thank you for that additional hint. Even though there is a shutoff valve an inch away, I agree with you that a dab of sealer and some kind of leak detection would make lots of sense, simply because there is an open flame three feet away at the second hot water heater.
Thanks for the advice, as I am decidedly not a plumber.