what do i need?

Got a 2000lb tractor on a parking pad that I'm going to have to re-engine. One of the chores associated with that will be to elongate two eng mtg holes approx 1/16" in heavy frame rails. The holes, with the engine out, should be in the clear, and accessible. It's going to be necessary to take the tools to the work, and not the work to the tools.

What kind of tools do I need to make this reasonably easy? I thought about a high speed cutter head for my die grinder? Is that the best way to go?

Reply to
RB

Can you just drill the holes 1/8 inch larger diameter and use a washer if needed? Be a lot easier than trying to elongate them. You can always drive a shim in next to the bolt if you need to make absolutely sure it won't shift.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

You can take an electric drill with a bit the same size and angle it back and forth, then file the rest. The redneck way is to use a cutting torch. lol

Reply to
Bob

Die grinder with a carbide rotary rasp / file. It'll be quicker than a drill in any case. Cleaner too.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Reply to
Don Young