What do I look for in a high efficiency toilet??

Page 1 of 3
I have recently been working on my toilet because of some simple flapper leakage problems. While working on it, I decided to settle my curiosity about how much water it took per flush. Much to my surprise I found that it took 4 gallons of water to fill it to the usual flush line! I wondered why my family was having such high water usage.... now I know why. Anyway, I have decided to change the toilet out for a more efficient 1.5 gal model. What I would like to know is what do you look for when buying one of these things. Also.... are they as efficient in flushing as the one I presently have?? I noticed that the price of toilets at Home Depot also ranged from about $75 to $300. That is quite a range. What is the difference??
Thanks, Al Kondo
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:27:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org (Al Kondo) wrote:

Frankly, I look for power...Ever have guests? I have and one time I don't know who left a turd in the toilet, but a stallion would have been proud to have a cock THAT big :)
Consumer Reports tested about 100 of them, I have a pressure version it works good but is super noisy, the neighbors can hear it to.
We replaced two of our toilets by American Standard "Champion" models (approx. $250 at Lowe's or HD). They flush well, except that I guess they don't swirl the water as well as a larger-volume toilet. The result is that traces -- but only traces -- of really sticky "stuff" sometimes remain on the sides of the bowl; they usually dissolve in the standing water after a short time.
AFAIK, the difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones is that the more expensive have larger waterways, both from the tank to the bowl and from the bowl to the drain. BTW, I've seen some at Lowe's that are way more than $300, but I think you're paying for fancy styling then.
MB
On 08/26/04 08:27 am Al Kondo put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Also look for a glazed trap - Its smoother internally and less likely to clog. Kohler Wentworth is what I replace three toilets with. It works great and didn't break the bank (About $100 if I remember correctly)

Al Kondo wrote:

I fail to see any economy when you have to flush it three times to get all the crap to go down. I've had better luck tricking mine to hold more water in the tank. It's amazing how much better it flushes with even just another half a gallon of water.
Frankly, I'd hold onto the old one if I could repair it economically. In this case, newer isn't necessarily better.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I don't get it. First, water is cheap, $3 per 1000 gallons. Second, there is no shortage of water in the world. Hydrocarbon combustion constantly adds more. Most of the water is in polar ice and the oceans.
The Commonwealth of MA licenses each publically owned well for X many gallons of water per day. THAT'S what causes the shortage!

Everywhere? No shortage ANYWHERE? Why do you suppose many municipalities put restrictions on water usage at certain times? Because there's enough?
snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu says...

True, but considering the energy required to constantly treat and purify potable water, why waste it?

Lucky for you to live in an area with a good water treatment system and a plentiful supply of drinkable water.

And, as such, isn't drinkable. You're quite right when you say that there's plenty of water on the planet. Problem is, over 99% of it isn't drinkable. What is drinkable (i.e. fresh water not salt water) requires massive amounts of treatment to remove bacteria and other nasties before it gets piped into homes. No sense wasting it, especially when low-flush toilets are available that do a fine job of removing waste.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
George Wenzel wrote:

It takes the same amount of effort to purify 1 gallon of water as it does 10 gallons. It what's IN the water that gets treated.

Everybody lives in an area with potable water. Without potable water, they die.

What makes you think it's wasted? When you burn Hydrogen in the presence of Oxygen, you get fresh water. All other water is used water.

That'd get an F in the water treatment course I took getting my engineering degree. The water gets treated - unless you know of a magical way to separate the water from what's in it.
There's the cost of the pipes that have to be sized for the water, the pumps, the filters...
Mike

That's nice, but it doesn't mean there's enough. There are places where people are JUST BARELY able to get as much water as they need, which creates very tense interactions with neighboring countries. Yeah....the water's there somewhere, but some countries don't have the resources to get it where it needs to be.

creates
where
TELL THEM TO MOVE!!!!!!!!
Red Neckerson wrote:

Right. Or, build a pipe line. Or, as the Shah or Iran was considering, float icebergs from the polar regions and let them melt for fresh water. Installing low-flush toilets is not going to help anybody.
wrote

One of the latest hairbrain schemes is to ship water from the Great Lakes. Fortunately, a couple of organizations have put the brakes on the idea pending further study.

Where you live is the whole world? _You_ may think that water is cheap, but if you had to walk 5km each way to the nearest well every day, you'd think that water was pretty expensive. That's reality in some parts of the _real_ world.

What is the marginal cost of the next unit of clean water? If waste increases, you have to come up with _new_ sources and new infrastructure to process it. That is $$$
In parts of the US, there has been a permanent drawdown in the water table. Hence the push to control overuse.
What you need to do is wake up and realize what's really happening with water in this world. Canada and Russia have lots of water; most of that is not where people live. Most other countries do not have lots water. Get over it.
Mike

There is PLENTY of fresh water! God makes it all the time. If there are people living in areas where there is no water, then you need to TELL THEM TO MOVE!!!
I have all my faucets (including my outdoor ones!) running 24/7! I love to hear the gurgling noise it makes as it goes down the drain!
Instead of worrying about a water shortage, why don't you just go hug a tree! But don't do it too hard!! You might squeeze some moisture out of it, and that would be wasting it, wouldn't it???
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

Mike, you're right, and if people won't realize that the water situation is dire, then their children will. Tom Work at your leisure!
Tom wrote:

Please note that using water in a toilet does NOT "waste" it (pun!). It is returned to nature where evaporation will separate it again, forming rain, ... In fact withholding water from the environment is how you create deserts! Use water. Enjoy life with out fear.

Yeah, right. It always rains in the same place that the water evaporates!
According to your fantasies, the US midwest water table should be the same now as it was 100 years ago. It ain't. Guess what - water extracted in one place may end up as rain somewhere else! Duh!
Only an idiot would propose cleaning up lots of sewage loaded water when they can save money and time by only having to process a little.
Mike