What decade is this piece from?

Hi,

I have purchase an antique piece on ebay and now I have grave doubts about its being antique. It's a tea kettle and the claim is that it was made in the 1800's. However, the pieces are being held together by nuts and bolts. I have (low quality) picture that I took with my camera phone here:

Now I'm sure that the nut has been replaced, but the "bolt" part is actually part of the handle - the threads are on the piece itself. And the threads on the "bolt" part are a modern gauge and thread count. Now, my question is this: can one tell when the contemporary thread sizes were finalized? Was it in the 1800's or was it more like in the

1970's. And by looking at the picture that I provided, can one put a lower bound on the time period in which this piece was made.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I had some old copper pots and kettles that I bought in Europe years ago. They were around 200 hundred years old, but some of the handles looked newer and there were some rivet repairs. I surmised after asking around that these things would get repaired after something broke off and the blacksmith would use the more modern repair method rather then restore the piece to its original construction and design. You might have the same situation. Maybe it was repaired or replaced 50 years ago.

Can you post pictures of the entire piece?

Reply to
John Grabowski

There are lots of old pieces which have been repaired with modern fasteners. A picture of the entire piece would help. Was silverplate? Any markings?

Reply to
Norminn

Thanks,

Here are two more pictures of the whole thing:

Please note that all three handles are attached by a "bolt/screw" mechanism, meaning that the handle has threads and the finial screws on to them. And all threads look quite contemporary.

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I've done lots of antiueing, but don't recall seeing anything like your pix. When I have seen ornate copper/brass tableware, it has usually been stripped of silver. That might be the reason the handles now screw on. Generally, the style of the black wood handles might be from around 1900 or thereabouts. What is the narrow thing on top - drains into larger container or ?........ Any markings on bottom?

Reply to
Norminn

It is an interesting piece. I'm thinking that is a combination of old and new. The base looks as though it was cast and not handmade. Does this heat water with an oil flame underneath?

Reply to
John Grabowski

I can't see the decoration very clearly. I am thinking it is some kind of middle-eastern (Turkish?) coffee making device.......but it is really a mystery because the style is not like those I have seen. Parts look kind of American, but what it is........an espresso maker???? The metal finials on the top of the large pot.....just decoration? Any makers marks on the bottom? Would be interesting to take to the Antiques Road Show :o)

Reply to
Norminn

It heats water from the firewoord, cones, or coal that you put in the middle furnace. So the time of manufacture is inconclusive?

Thanks.

Reply to
Aaron Fude