What could it be for?

Page 3 of 3

Works for me Harry....Maybe it's for real....take care, Ross
Oh, good -- I love these opportunities for wild conjecture! Maybe they went to the city govt. to ask if there was anyone who knew the history of the house, and then someone alerted the police about a hidden cellar, and the police of course immediately thought of buried corpses, and made the owners leave while the cellar was dug up. Cleveland is weird.
C.C.
My vote would be a root cellar - the only one I have seen was accessible through trap door in kitchen. Any old canning jars, crocks or barrels down there?
If the house is 100 years old, it is too new to have been part of the underground railroad.