What Color Storm Door

You could tell the wife that the city requires "storm doors" to be florescent orange...

Reply to
HeyBub

"Buck Turgidson" wrote

== Nice house. First thing you should do is make sure a storm door can be used with the fiberglass door. It might trap too much heat and warp the door. That said--Are your shutters brown now? They look black in the pic. Shouldn't the frame of the storm door be consistent with the window frame color (white)? If your shutters are brown now, do they not match the door already?

Reply to
Gini

fiberglass doors should NOT have a storm door on it. the fiberglass will warp and the seals around the door glass will leak oil. most mfr's. will not warranty fiberglass doors if a storm door is used.

this site attempted to make unauthorized changes to our test PC by exploiting a browser security vulnerability. This is a serious security threat which could lead to an infection of your PC. | |

| |

Reply to
3G

Is that doorway mostly protected from direct sunlight by the overhang? If so, use lexan, with just enough frame around it to attach the latch and hinges.

Reply to
Goedjn

Yes, the house faces due north, and never receives direct sunlight. But a very good point otherwise.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Can somene suggest a color of storm door that would go ok with this oak door that my husband installed? The windows are white double-hung windows. I was thinking of black, and then painting the shutters to match.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez

With that beautiful door I can't see hiding it. If you want to put a storm door up, get one of the ones that's got the one huge glass panel to it. Since the usual choice in doors is either white or bronze, I'd pick the bronze.

The glass panel can be swapped out for a screen in temperate weather.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'd have to be able to see the whole house to really decide on a color

-- there are three separate colors shown just in this picture and there's not enough perspective to judge overall...

As for the door itself, if use a storm I'd go for the full pane glass, but might as well make it oak as well and match the stain as nearly as can. The storm won't stick out nearly as much that was as would the painted (whatever the color)...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't think you want a black door. A nice full length glass white door with gold hardware would look nice. And I really don't like those shutters there so take them down. What I suggested would make your entrance look just like my mom's which is beautiful (also brick wall.) She has a bay window about 3 feet to the left and it has black shutters as do the rest of the front windows (ranch brick.) I just don't like your shutters on the door.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have a similar door and went with a forest green, full-glass Andersen 3000 series "Fullview" storm door with a nice pattern etched around the glass. Looks great. Go to the link and click on the colors to see a sample:

DT