What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

Page 3 of 4

I also have the P2015dn. Although it's been a good printer, the software sucks. Using it on the network is next to impossible (unstable) so I use the USB connection, which limits its functionality. I buy whatever paper is cheap (usually from Target) and buy toner cartridges from inkjetsuperstore.com.
Because the HP software is so horrid, it'll be the last HP printer I buy.

All I've heard and seen about Brother is that they are always breaking down - lots of horror stories. Maybe that's changed in the past couple years.
Another thing to consider with lasers is startup time. With an inkjet, there is usually only a few seconds startup time from when the print job hits the printer. On lasers there can be a delay while the fusing drum warms up, some printers have a fairly long delay.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:11:47 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I print maybe one page every two or three days, on average.
I generally leave the printer on all the time.
However, I 'could' just as well turn it off, for all it has been used.
But, when I had the HP d135 AIO printer, I remember admonishments to keep it running all the time - otherwise it wasted ink (I was told).
And, we all know, HP ink costs more than it's weight in gold.
So, what's the general consensus for leaving printers on which are only used sporadically a few days of the week?
Does that play a role in our printer selection decision?
On 8/20/2012 3:25 PM, J.G. wrote:

energy hogs, i would guess. they have to be kept at a hot temp for the toner to be fused to the paper, so you're paying to keep it hot, and then the a/c costs to keep the room cool. i guess in winter, if you're in a place that needs heating, it's a wash.

My laser printer when it goes into sleep mode draws 6 watts which is less than the damn night light i have in my upsatirs hallway.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:25:41 +0000, J.G. wrote:

True of inkjets (and to stop them clogging). Nonsense for lasers.
Most lasers (even old ones) go into a power saving mode after a while, and the fuser heater is turned off. But they still use power. We use a 20 year old HP LaserJet 4M+, which does that after 15 minutes. But they use a lot of energy, so I generally turn it off. To encourage me, I have a wireless power control on it now, controlled from my desk (on the other side of the room).
We use that printer for all B&W stuff, and an ancient-ish Xerox C20 (Lexmark Optra 45 clone) for the occasional colour.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Not for me. I always leave it off. Ran out of ink. So for small stuff like travel directions I pull a piece of paper out of the printer (unless there's an opened trash mail envelope handy) then write it down with a pen or pencil. Like 41 west for 2 miles left on 93, etc.
For bigger stuff I e-mail it to a an Office depot about a mile away and go there. Last time they printed about 6 pages of pdf files and e-mails for about a buck. But I don't run a business and I have a lot of services close by. For me it's a lot cheaper not to buy ink.
--
Vic

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:25:41 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."

Most lasers will have a power save that turns off the fuser heat which is similar to turning them off. You definitely don't want to have one that keeps the fuser hot all the time if you only print once or twice a day and never turn the printer off. Of course, when the fuser is turned off that means a delay in printing when you do want to print. If it's only once a day it's probably not much of an issue.
I don't recall HP saying their printers should be left on all the time, only that they should be turned off properly, which means with their power button, not just by turning off the power strip it's plugged into. If the printer is turned off in mid print by cutting power from the power strip it will leave the print heads un-parked which could lead to ink drying in them and causing clogging. In my experience, no matter what you do there will be periodic episodes when the HP goes into "clean and polish" mode where it exercises the print heads by squirting some ink thru them into a build in disposal reservoir.
On 21/08/2012 23:47, Ashton Crusher wrote:

My Canon Pixma does the same - sometimes I have quite a wait before it gets started on the actual printing!
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:47:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Hmmm... I will have to look to see if my B&W HP 3200m laser printer turns itself off.
What feature am I looking for by name?
I googled for "hp 3200m turn off feature" but didn't find what I'm looking for.
Does this auto-off feature have a name that I can see if the HP 3200m laserjet has the capability?
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:47:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I just downloaded the manual for the HP laserjet 3200m http://crl.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf
I did a search (control + F) of the PDF for "power" and "turn off" but didn't see any mention of what the recommendation is.
I leave mine on all the time - but folks said that's wasteful for printing a page or three a week.
Any suggestions?
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:03:56 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."

Can't speak for yours specifically, but most every printer made in the past few years is in a very low power mode when not in use. The heavy power is the heating element that fuses the toner and that is not on until it is going to print.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 07:32:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

True of my LaserJet 4 machines, and they were made in 1993.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 8/26/2012 7:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

True, but some draw surprising amounts of power while they "sleep". A Kill-a-watt" meter is handy to find stuff like that.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:47:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

At first, I couldn't find that 'feature' by name in the HP 3200 laserjet manual: http://crl.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf
But, reading page by page by page, on page 228 of that manual, I find this chart which talks about "idle mode" which may be the thing you are talking about? ----------------------------------------------------------- Power requirements = 100 to 127 volts +/-10% 50 to 60 hertz Power consumption = Continuous copy mode: 135 watts Idle mode = 7 watts Minimum recommended circuit capacity = 4.2 amps (110 volts) Idle power = 7 watts -----------------------------------------------------------
The question is whether it goes into "idle mode" on its own or if I have to put it into that mode. Unfortunately, a control F shows that "idle mode" is used only once in the entire 300-page document! And its at that chart. So there's not much to go by.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:10:02 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."

Yes, it goes into idle mode on its own.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:39:15 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."

Wow, 23 responses and not a single one answered your question.
I have a HP CP2025dn with four separate toner carts and I refill it regularly with toner from http://www.tonerrefillkits.com /. Works great. Cost of printer $468. Cost of spare set of carts $160 cost of refill for a cart $35 or less. Refills last thousands of pages, quality is good enough for photos, but not for professional photographic work.
There are also some cheaper cart sets ($56-$68) listed on Amazon, but they have mixed reviews. The stuff from tonerretillkits.com works. I have been using it for six or more years for several different laser printers.
Jim (at) Jim Winer (daht) com
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:43:59 -0400, Quiet Man wrote:

This is a fantastic start!
What I like about it is: a) It's a recommendation of a color laser printer which isn't too expensive b) Refills are proven! And each color can be separately refilled! c) It works well enough!
Thanks ... this becomes the leading suggestion for what color laser printer can easily & cheaply be refilled from home!
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:50:34 -0700, SMS wrote:

At first I thought you were clueless ... until I read on! :)

Indeed! All the ones I had were sheer hell to refill (and, at the time, I knew what I was doing - yet they were STILL sheer hell!)

Mine were all separate 'tanks' and 'print heads'. :(

It does.

I had two fail on me.

All the HP inkjet printers I had, had separate print heads. My fault! Now I know.

It's getting harder and harder to find unchipped cartridges. See details here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/10281-2-various-printer-expiration-dates-analyzed

Very interesting observation!

Makes sense to use the B&W most of the time.

Good advice!

Makes the most sense of all! Now to convince them of that!
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:50:34 -0700, SMS wrote:

Hi SMS,
At first I thought you were "clueless in San Jose", but then I read your wonderful post, and I realized you were right on the money!
One thing to add to your "choose your printer carefully" advice.
This HP web site tells us that there is no way to override the drop dead date in "some" HP printers.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname 1764161
Trust me, I've tried (on the d135). It just can not be done. Forget CMOS resets. Forget motherboard shorts. Forget changing the printer time. Forget turning off the ink-drop counting mechanisms. Even forget the otherwise venerable trick of cycling of three cartridges.
The only solution (for those printers) is to NEVER BUY THOSE PRINTERS! Otherwise, attempting to re-fill the chipped ink will be sheer hell.
So that others benefit, we should add that list of printers to avoid in order to eliminate hell in your otherwise wonderful instructions! ... HP Officejet Pro K850 HP digital Copier Printer 610 HP Business Inkjet (all HP business inkjet printers!) HP Officejet D series (all) HP Officejet d125xi, HP Officejet d135, HP Officejet d145, HP Officejet d155xi, HP Officejet 7110, HP Officejet 7130, HP Officejet 7140xi, HP Fax 610 HP Officejet 7100 series (all) HP Officejet 9100 series (all) HP Professional series 2000 (all) HP Professional series 2500 (all) HP Color Inkjet cp1160 HP Color Inkjet cp1700 ... HP Officejet Pro 8000, HP Officejet Pro 8500, HP Officejet Pro K550, HP Officejet Pro K5300, HP Officejet Pro K5400, HP Officejet Pro K8600, HP Officejet Pro L7400, HP Officejet Pro L7500, HP Officejet Pro L7600, HP Officejet Pro L7700 Series HP Photosmart 3110, HP Photosmart 3210, HP Photosmart 3310, HP Photosmart 8250, HP Photosmart C5180, HP Photosmart C6180, HP Photosmart C6200, HP Photosmart C7180, HP Photosmart C7200, HP Photosmart C8100, HP Photosmart D6160, HP Photosmart D7160, HP Photosmart D7200, HP Photosmart D7360, HP Photosmart D7400 series, HP Photosmart Pro B8800, HP Photosmart Pro B9180 HP Designjet 510, HP Designjet 4000, HP Designjet 4500, HP Designjet 4X20, HP Designjet 5100, HP Designjet 5500, HP Designjet 8000, HP Designjet 9000, HP Designjet 10000, HP Designjet L25500, HP Designjet L26500, HP Designjet L28500, HP Designjet L65500, HP Designjet LX600, HP Designjet LX800, HP Designjet LX820, HP Designjet LX850, HP Designjet T610, HP Designjet T620, HP Designjet T770, HP Designjet T790, HP Designjet T1100, HP Designjet T1120, HP Designjet T1200, HP Designjet T1300, HP Designjet T2300 eMFP, HP Designjet T7100, HP Designjet Z2100, HP Designjet Z3100, HP Designjet Z3200, HP Designjet Z5200ps, HP Designjet Z6100, HP Designjet Z6200 series, HP CM8050 HP CM8060