What causes this crazy brown 'crazing' in a varnished steel measuring square?

joevan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

if you mean the rust-converting solution,then an auto store,like PepBoys or Auto Zone. There also are paints that have the rust-converting ingredients.

if you want rust removing stuff,try a woodworker's store,stuff Like Boeshield T-9.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks, Sounds just like what I was looking for.

Reply to
joevan

Update: You guys were right all along!

The crazing didn't look like rust at the crazed parts - but - at the end, where the varnish/lacquer peeled up - it certainly did look like rust underneath.

Here's a closeup:

I think I'll just replace it.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Stainless steel would be good.

Reply to
dadiOH

Chuck Banshee wrote in news:jgp8gv$l8v$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Wasteful....a little elbow grease,and you're restored a good tool.

I had to use steel wool to clean my square's steel rule,and then I sprayed it with Krylon crystal clear. wipe the rule with paint first to fill in the markings for an easier read.

Reply to
Jim Yanik