What Causes This?

My house has two outside faucets. One on the north side, where the water line comes in to the house, is fine. The other one is on the south side....right under the bathroom window. All the faucets in that bathroom are fine, no noise. The outside faucet makes a jarring racket that can be heard all over the house. Why? Is there anything I can do? I know that air in the line can cause it - it's a vibration type noise....but why just that faucet?
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:23:15 -0800, Dottie wrote:

Could it be a loose pipe near the faucet and the sound is being transmitted via the entire piping system?
I would start wiggling pipes in the basement to see if any are loose. It could be as simple as a missing pipe strap.

Sounds like an anti siphon valve. Do you have one on the outside hose bib?

It could be caused by a loose washer or worn threads on the stem. If you can replace the washer tightly and snug up the stem seal that will lilkely stop the noise.
Don Young
I had the same problem. Replaced the washer and no more machine gun noises.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net