What can I use to pump out my gas tank

The gas tank on my chevy has water in the gas. The seal around the sending unit got put in wrong when I changed the fuel pump. I have to dump all the gas/water in the tank and do not want to remove the tank. I took off the fuel filter and pumped out a gallon of gas, and found out half of it was water.

I can remove the fuel pump and sending unit from the access panel. Before I remove it, I plan to pump out as much of the contents as I can into a gas can. (A local auto service center said they will take the bad gas for recycling). But I know the fuel pump does not go to the bottom of the tank, so I will need another method to remove the rest of the gas/water.

I know to NOT use a shop vac or anything else that has a motor with brushes which spark. But what can I use? I was thinking about these electric drill operated pumps as long as the drill is kept far enough away from the gas tank using long hoses. But maybe there is a better method. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose the last option is to use a sponge and elbow grease.

Tj

Reply to
tj

You ought to be able to siphon most of it out. Then what I do for lawnmower gas tanks with water in the bottom is put a hose (like a two foot piece of gas line hose) in it and then blow across the top of the hose with compressed air from the air compressor which makes it an aspirator and it will suck the water out of the bottom and gas. Do this outdoors and no smoking or open flames and I wouldn't let it spray on the grass or the neighbor's rose bushes! When you get it all back together a tank of gasohol or adding some alcohol ought to remove what water remains. And for the old gas in the tank, I'd let it sit for a while and pour the gasoline off the top and put it back in the vehicle.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

wrote > The gas tank on my chevy has water in the gas. The seal around the

Most tanks today have anti-siphon barriers of some sort. How long did it take to pump that gallon out? It may be just as easy to pump some that way. Since water settles to the bottom, you may have most of it already.

If the car runnable at all? If so, dump in some alcohol and it will mix with the water left in there and clear the tank.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At an auto parts store, I found a cheap bulb & tube type siphon whose packaging claimed it wouldn't be destroyed by gas. To my surprise, it was true. Now that I think about it, I might've gotten it from a marine supply place - this goes back years. The tube's not much thicker than a pencil, so it should get past barriers, if any.

When I'm done with it, I let it dry outdoors for a day and then store it in a ziplok bag so it doesn't get all full of cobwebs, dust, etc. Mine's actually used to transfer fuel from my boat tank to the mower's gas jug, so I want the gas to remain clean.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Your tank might have an anti siphon metal piece and make siphoning impossible. Does it run at all and just run poorly? Alcohol absorbes something like 1% water without increasing alcohols volume, thats what gas line antifreeze is, alcohol. For old cars with old gas that have been sitting and wont run right I dump in a gallon of alcohol and then can burn out the gas, add about 15% alcohol to the gas, you can buy a gallon of denatured alcohol for about 12$ then the water will burn out. Then add more gas and more alcohol and it will all burn out. Ive been adding alcohol to gas way before the 10% gasohol became standard. In Europe I had a 67 TBird and the gas was so bad and the car wouldnt run right until I poured in nearly 1 gallon of alcohol, so it works on bad bottom of storage tank gas as well and wont hurt anything. In winter I always have a gallon of denatured on hand for windshield washer fluid and gasolene water absorbtion. If you buy "Heat" by the little yellow bottle, which is just Alcohol a gallon would cost you about 40$, by the gallon is cheap, and "Heat`s" purpose is stated as just water removal. Alcohol is my friend and has kept me happy and saved me alot of money from car repairs

Reply to
ransley

disconnect fuel line at engine attach a hose, pump gas into a container by turning on ignition key, no siphoning needed.

the pump will empty mostly the tank.

then if you want use something to dry the remaing gasoline in tank and pup it out some more.

this avoids pulling tank

Reply to
hallerb

Park on a side hill so all the gas and water goes to the corner of the tank. Siphon it out with a rubber tube. Then put in gas drier, dry gas or alcohol with new gas. Investigate where the water came from. That's too much water from natural causes.

Reply to
LSMFT

That's a bad idea as on many cars running the fuel system dry is a problem.

He should be able to siphon it. I keep a piece of "sort of hard" black plastic 1/4" line for that. It was left over hydralic line from a boat project. I prefer it over soft line as it it easier to force through bends. Soft line just bunches up if it hits a difficult turn or a flap.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

running it dry for one time with zero pressure shouldnt be a problem and besides most vehicles have ant siphon decices built into the filler neck

Reply to
hallerb

Quicker than pumping it is to use an air hose into the filler neck and pack it with rags...

Hmmm...would gas go through the fuel pump without the pump being activated?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Nobody knows how much water is in it, water is in air and condenses into all gas in tanks and gets burnt, some water is in all gas purchased mainly from storage at stations. If it runs now alcohol will fix it before any damage occurs, he doesnt even say if it runs or how poorly, and maybe it runs fine and its all his panic, and maybe no real amount ever got in. My gas comes with 10% alcohol, a bit of water getting in it is just absorbed and burnt every day as I drive. Did you ever notice the Vapor comming out a cold motor at -10f, guess what, its water.

Reply to
ransley

I had one of these for years.

Loved it. Self priming parastaltic pump with weighted nozzle just for pumping out gas tanks. I loved mine and plan to buy another. Slow and labor intensive, but VERY positive, as in positive displacement. Highly recommended.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'm guessing you don't work on many modern fuel injection cars.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

this generally doesn't work on most modern cars. the fuel pump will shut off if the controller doesn't detect the engine running.

Reply to
chaniarts

In NYS, most gasoline has 10% alcohol, due to regulations.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since you are familiar with removing the fuel pump I would think you are capable of hot wiring it so it will pump the fuel out.

Jimie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Won't work if, as the OP states, the gasgot wet because the fuel pump gasket was put in wrong. If water got in, air pressure will get out.

Reply to
clare

But it's not from water in the fuel. For every gallon of fuel burned, very close to a gallon of water is PRODUCED. Large amounts of water in the fuel should NOT be absorbed with alcohol. As much water as possible should be drawn off the borttom of the tank. If the fuel pump assembly can be removed with the tank installed, remove it and siphon the water from the bottom of the tamk till you get mostly gasoline - THEN add alcohol, replace the damaged gasket and re-install the pump/guage assembly, refill the tank with clean dry gas, and run. A bit of ATF or MMO to protect/lubricate the injectors isn't a bad idea either (a couple ounces to a full tank)

Reply to
clare

If you can get a siphon hose into it, you can siphon most out. Applying air pressure (air hose, Vacume outlet?) to the filler hole as you siphon will help to start/restart/speed the siphon if you need it, but only use low pressure - you don't want to pop the tank.

Reply to
Bob F

three seconds at a time, and will often siphon through the pump if you get the outlet hose lower than the tank.

Reply to
clare