What can I use to pump out my gas tank

This part of the problem i have solved. All I have to do is jump the orange (Batt) and gray (Pump) wires at the relay and the pump will run continuously.

Thanks for all the advice

Tj

Reply to
tj

A siphon hose will do it. A squeeze bulb in the hose will make sucking on the hose unneceessary, and remove the risk of inhaling the gas (very very bad).

The bulb might have a built-in valve, but if it doesn't, you can use your thumb over the end of the hose when releasing the bulb, to suck up the gas.

I've been carrying one in my trunk that I paid a dollar for 25 years ago. I havent' had a use for it so far. But it might not be possible to find one so cheap.

Reply to
mm

"For every gallon of fuel burned close to a gallon of water is produced" I think you have just rewritten chemistry and solved the worlds water problems, If the car runs adding alcohol is the easiest and safest way to remove it, ive done it for 50 years and never wasted a dime draining a tank or hurt anything

Reply to
ransley

My 54 Buick had one, a 55 ford pickup has one.

Reply to
ransley

Both of which are SIGNIFICANTLY over 30 years old, if my math is correct.

Reply to
clare

The only products of complete combustion of a hydrocarbon are H2O and CO2.

Gasoline is a mixture of many hydrocarbons; for the purposes of this discussion I will estimate that it consists of isooctane, which has the composition C8H18. Each molecule of isooctane that burns completely produces 8 molecules of CO2 and 9 molecules of H2O.

All that we need to know is the volume of one mole (a standard number of molecules) of liquid isooctane, and the volume of the combustion products resulting from the isooctane. One mole of isooctane has a volume of 165 mL, or 0.165 liters. As a pretty good approximation, a mole of any gas at room temperature and atmospheric pressure occupies 24.4 liters.

So, if you assume that all of the combustion products will be in vapor form, this amounts to 17 moles of gas, or 381 liters. If you assume that the CO2 is in vapor form and the water is liquid, that's 8 moles of gas at 180 liters, plus 9 moles of liquid water at 18 mL/mole, or

0.16 liters.

Of course, there ARE other products - because gasoline is not pure isoctane, and air is not pure oxygen - but the other products of combustion are insignificant in volume compared to the CO2 and the H2O.

That's very "close" to the same amount of water "produced" as fuel burned in my books.

Reply to
clare

You know more about gasolene than I will ever know, but are you saying

1 gallon of gasolene produces 1 gallon of water, by weight, as by product.
Reply to
ransley

Depends on how big of a leak around the gasket. A compressor will override even a fairly large leak.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Well..to be pedantic. That would not be a siphon, only a gravity drain.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just one more reminder of something that has been mentioned several times. You cannot siphon from a vehicle built at least in the past 20 years (I would guess more like 30) without destroying the antisiphon plate first.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

By volume, if all vapour is condensed, 1 gallon of gasoline, when burned, produces 0.96 gallons of water, more or less.

Reply to
clare

No, since the lines come out the TOP of the tank, so it WOULD be a syphon.

Reply to
clare

Unless you siphon through the fuel line.

Reply to
clare

Yep, my bad

Harry K