What can I get out of Pella?

Page 2 of 3

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:47:36 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

What's little known is that Dali made and sold storm doors and windows, and only did painting on the side.

Get outta here! :-)
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:56:07 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Many times measurements are taken by sales people. Things go wrong. My solar screens where measured and they had to take one back for fixin'. A contractor here, went out and measured a bay window and was a slightly wrong size from the store. The family consenting too change the RO, instead of wasting time with minor problems. Lunch Time!
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:08:08 -0500, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I had the same problem. I ordered a bay window and the stated rough opening was about 4" too narrow. Fortunately I double jack plated it and ended up with 1x6's for jack plates. If I didn't double jackplate I would have had to buy new microlam beams. It was also shorter than advertised.
Aaron Fude wrote:

Get a concrete saw and fix the opening. YOU must have given them the wrong measurements. I have never seen a custom window maker make a mistake.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Pella has accepted that it was their mistake.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:37:33 -0500, Aaron Fude

And should replace it free of charge. But if you are contemplating suing for damages you'll need to prove somehow that this damged you which being of sound mind and mental faculties, frankly I just don't see.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:17:09 -0500, "Jeff The Drunk"

Of course it did. The question is not at all damages. They're plain as day (except maybe how much crew time would be paid for IF there were liability.)
The questions are two.
1)Is the company legally liable? Probably not for consequential damages. READ THE SALES CONTRACT. See if it excludes consquetial damages. This is what the term refers to. See if it specifically limits liability for making the wrong thing. If the contract is long, it probably does. If it's short enough, probably not.
If the contract is an order form, see what it says on the back.
2) Will the company give him something to keep his good will? I don't know.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:16:51 -0500, Van Chocstraw

Job done. The crew likely had tools on the truck, and the window would have been done by lunch time or sooner.

I have, & it was Pella. I was to help put in a 10'0"x 92 "hold to size bow, with a 2'0" projection. It was a brick home, but regardless, they delivered the thing in 3 sections. There was absolutely no way to mull them together, the way Pella built it. There was 4 of us on the job, expecting a monster size window. Pella did replace it @ N/C, delivered it correct size the next time around & it was a monster. That darn thing was over $8K, 12 years ago.
Crazy to think someone went out of town because they're having a window installed.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:16:51 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

you obviously do not have much experience with custom window makers. I ordered a STOCK size bay window and used Pella's stated rough opening and the window was 4" wider than the stated rough opening.

Pella bay window rough openings are not measured the same way that some other manufacturers measure the rough opening. This is most likely where you ran into trouble. If you measured the standard rectangular window opening - innermost wood to innermost wood - that's not how Pella measures their rough openings. And very likely it is the same thing that caused the OP to go astray.

Sorry, I should have included the link to show you what I'm talking about. http://pellaadm.com/userdocs/documents/PLCMBAY3C.pdf Pella measures their rough opening from the points marked 'A'.

A crew idled for 2 days, you paid them, why. I cant believe you went to a hotel for a lousy bay window. You can get a billion dollars, persue it to the supreme court.
ransley wrote:

I paid them the cancellation fee. Family went to a hotel the night before because the crews started at 7am and we have a small child. It's spelled "pursue".
Aaron Fude wrote:

LOL! What, were you worried they were going to stuff your child in a lunchbox or something?
It's a window for crying out Pete. Keep the kid in another room or (better) let him sit there and watch; kids love stuff like that. Hell, take him to a library or a park or something.
Jon
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:09:58 -0800, Jon Danniken wrote:

and have the child fall out the window when back home?
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:00:44 -0600, Michael Dobony

Not a factor, since the OP expected an opening there at some point for installation. He's whining now about that fact that it will be colder during the process.
Michael Dobony wrote:

Duct tape + high chair. Go "wheeee!" a bunch of times.
Jon
Aaron Fude wrote:

What does the disclaimer on the receipt say?