What can be used to cover wood apart from tarps?

I was thinking about a roll of roofing felt or plastic, but not sure how UV proof they are. I used one roll of HD roof underlay and it was the perfect size, but its like $50 a roll and I don't know how long it will last in the light.

Reply to
dean

Underlayment, tarpaper, felt will last a few months. After the first rain it will start to curl and degrade. most home centers sell a flat roofing roll as well. That will last a long time if put down correctly. The rolls look like shingles on one side.

Reply to
SQLit

Covering a load of firewood. I keep it 2' wide and its currently around

200' long in total. So it has to be cheaper rather than costly.
Reply to
dean

What're you covering and from what?

Reply to
wkearney99

That depends on where you live. Here in seattle, wood rots pretty quick if stored uncovered.

If you use plastic, I've found that black survives longer in the sun than clear.

Try to find someone getting rid of steel roofing panels, or those corrugated fiberglass panels. Nail holes can be sealed with caulk. You could put a short length of used gutter under the joints to divert leakage. You do have to tie or weight them down to avoid wind problems.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Edwin, in which state do you live?

Reply to
dean

Buy a roll of 4 mil plastic at the BORG sold as 10x100. You will get at least one season from it.

Reply to
Colbyt

Nothing. It need not be covered and it will not absorb water. The bark offers good protection. If you are concerned about some of it getting snow covered, I'd run a 2' wide piece of plastic wrap. I've burned wood for 24 years and tried different covers, found no covering to be just as good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Same here. But then I am in the dry eastern part of WA. Our wet season (fairly wet) runs Nov-Mar. Back in the day when I started heating with wood I read a book on the subject of making, storing, using wood. It also says that covering is not needed. Wood only

-absorbs- water through the end grain so if you are using off an unprotected pile only the first layer will be wet and that only externally. The wood I burn each year has been in the unprotected stack for a minimum of 2 years and does not show rot. Always at least one rick of it has been stored under the eave of my woodshed so it gets all the runoff from the roof.

If covering is wanted, then any plastic will do. You don't need a 'permanent' type. Get one season and toss it. And for sure only cover the top of the pile, leave the sides open.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yep, a roll of plastic sheet is probably your best bet for that sort of setup.

Reply to
wkearney99