What brand of CFL's is the best?

Page 2 of 2
Limp Arbor wrote:

Quite! ;)
Limp Arbor wrote:

Not all power generation uses coal. The percentage of coal is likely to go down and non-carbon-producing go up.
Plug-ins can charge when the grid use is low so new power plants are not required.
Last I heard the overall efficiency of energy conversion is higher from power plant to plug-in battery than gasoline car engine.

A Prius is not a plug-in. It uses a smaller higher efficiency Atkinson cycle gasoline engine and is rather effective at recapturing energy through regenerative braking. Miles per gallon is well over 40.
I am not aware there are particular pollution issues with lithium ion rechargables.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

Nope. Coal accounts for about half of our nation's energy production. China is bringing, on average, three coal-fired power plants per week on-line and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Non-carbon producing energy generation facilities will go up. But by an infinitesimal amount. Virtually all the dams that can be built have been; a new nuclear facility is at least ten to twenty years off. That leaves wind, solar, and maybe tidal as possibilities, none of which are very cost effective or even capable of producing the power needed.
bud-- wrote:

Can't have both no new plants and reduce coal significantly. Significant generation from the non-fossil sources (other than nuclear) proposed so far have availability issues that are limiting in their ability to replace much over 20% or so of baseload generation.
There seems a lot of "wish for" and other pie-in-the-sky replacement "hope fors" in rhetoric (including Boone P's foolishness of using up natural gas for vehicles) but keeping a 24/7 function grid is going to require more realistic generation mix for foreseeable future, anyway.

I don't know if one brand is better than any other but at Home Depot, they have a lit display with all the different bulbs that they sell. There sure is a difference in the colour of the light being emitted by each brand and bulb type.
You want facts?
Here's some.
EPA site has some side by side comparisons too.
Just search for CFL & mercury.
Also search for CFL & life
www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/downloads/MercuryInCFLs.pdf http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/procurement/eep_compact_fluor_lamp.html
On/Off issues
http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid%69&p_created 48315919&p_sid=HADuhIsj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0zMjEsMzIxJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1