What bait to use in mousetraps?

Page 2 of 2
Doug Miller wrote:

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names :o)

We were talking about handling *traps*. Not mice.
Doug Miller wrote:

We were talking about reusing traps, which have had squished mice in them.....body fluids, hair, and whatever else the mouse leaves behind.

So wash your hands when you're done. What's the problem?
--
Regards,

Disposable rubber gloves. I use these for all kinds of jobs. Cheap too.
I use a live trap emptied at least twice a day,
I release them to the outdoors where they belong.
frankly i prefer to not kill anything unnecessarily.......
since something out there will kill me someday:(
I sealed the house well and dont keep a food source around. my big mistake was the 50 pound sack of sunflower seeds............
with a plentiful food source, nice cozy house and one pregnant mouse.
over 40 went out in the live trap/ a few old geezers did die, probably from old age and fear.. they were very grey like a old person.
dont kill them just relocate.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Make sure you do it at least a mile away, or they will beat you back to the house. I had one that was dragging away the ant traps to eat the bait, so I got a couple of the 'teeter totter' live traps. Worked great, with peanut butter as bait. No window in the trap, and they are heavy enough that you can't tell anyone is in there- I picked up a tripped one to reset it,and the mouse jumped out and ran under the cabinets. But he has a short memory, so I caught him again 2 days later. Dropped him off in some tall weeds by the river at the park down the road, on the way to work the next day. Kept setting traps for a couple weeks, but no more hits, so I guess it was a bachelor male. No mice since then, knock on wood, but the well-washed traps are on the shelf waiting for next time.
Yeah, I know- being an inexperienced indoor mouse, he was probably an owl midnight snack within 24 hours. But at least I didn't have to kill him.
And as to the sunflower seeds and other tempting things- metal trash cans with tight lids, and 5-gallon buckets with tight lids, make good vermin-proof storage.
aem sends...

An owls nest would be a good place to relocate the buggers. Some times killing things is good. Mice and insects, venomous snakes, pathogenic bacteria and viruses. This list is not at all complete.
--

Roger Shoaf

That's why you should use raisins instead. They can't lick them off, and when they try to tug them off -- whack!
--
Regards,

Not a secret anymore. And a waste of a damn good tootsie roll :)
Oren wrote:

Only PART of the Tootsie Roll is wasted...

And my luck that will be the PART they leave me.

Sweet!

Other than just checking them every couple of days, I think these are great. I'm going to make a few out of the couple of dozen buckets the stucco guys just left and place them around the property and see what the results are. We don't have a huge rodent problem here, but the mice are just nasty when they do invade the house.
As for the chipmunks, if they stay outside, they can live. I don't want to place these where they may be victim just trying to get some food. Other than that, inside the garage and on the back patios is fair game.
Steve
i push a peice of velveta cheese on the trigger. lucas

A picture to an old Corvette, and a link to a website for an "update" for a Mac. WOW, I'm impressed.
plonk
Steve