What bait to use in mousetraps?

Make sure you do it at least a mile away, or they will beat you back to the house. I had one that was dragging away the ant traps to eat the bait, so I got a couple of the 'teeter totter' live traps. Worked great, with peanut butter as bait. No window in the trap, and they are heavy enough that you can't tell anyone is in there- I picked up a tripped one to reset it,and the mouse jumped out and ran under the cabinets. But he has a short memory, so I caught him again 2 days later. Dropped him off in some tall weeds by the river at the park down the road, on the way to work the next day. Kept setting traps for a couple weeks, but no more hits, so I guess it was a bachelor male. No mice since then, knock on wood, but the well-washed traps are on the shelf waiting for next time.

Yeah, I know- being an inexperienced indoor mouse, he was probably an owl midnight snack within 24 hours. But at least I didn't have to kill him.

And as to the sunflower seeds and other tempting things- metal trash cans with tight lids, and 5-gallon buckets with tight lids, make good vermin-proof storage.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

An owls nest would be a good place to relocate the buggers. Some times killing things is good. Mice and insects, venomous snakes, pathogenic bacteria and viruses. This list is not at all complete.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Isn't a .22 a bit of overkill for a mouse? I use the 'foot of god' method'

I fold the glue trap over, put it on the floor outside and stomp on it, instantly the mouse is no longer suffering, the trap is now stuck together so the glue is inside where it doesn't stick to everything, and it's all ready to throw out.

Reply to
Mikey S.

Not a secret anymore. And a waste of a damn good tootsie roll :)

Reply to
Oren

Only PART of the Tootsie Roll is wasted...

Reply to
HeyBub

And my luck that will be the PART they leave me.

Reply to
Oren

Somewhat OT. I saw on a nature show that while humans can't smell many/most/all things after a while of constantly smelling them, beagles and bloodhounds don't react that way. They continue to smell the scent.

I guess this is could be learned from movies where they go for hours tracking someone, but I try not to take everything in movies as truth.

Reply to
mm

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names :o)

Reply to
Norminn

We were talking about handling *traps*. Not mice.

Reply to
Doug Miller

We were talking about reusing traps, which have had squished mice in them.....body fluids, hair, and whatever else the mouse leaves behind.

Reply to
Norminn

So wash your hands when you're done. What's the problem?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Disposable rubber gloves. I use these for all kinds of jobs. Cheap too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sweet!

Reply to
cavedweller

"Oren" wrote

Other than just checking them every couple of days, I think these are great. I'm going to make a few out of the couple of dozen buckets the stucco guys just left and place them around the property and see what the results are. We don't have a huge rodent problem here, but the mice are just nasty when they do invade the house.

As for the chipmunks, if they stay outside, they can live. I don't want to place these where they may be victim just trying to get some food. Other than that, inside the garage and on the back patios is fair game.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

i push a peice of velveta cheese on the trigger. lucas

ds549

A picture to an old Corvette, and a link to a website for an "update" for a Mac. WOW, I'm impressed.

plonk

Steve

Reply to
SteveB