What are those strange screws used for locks?

Page 3 of 3

Not in my house. I rehabbed a wreck and reinstalled every door in it...about 30 years ago though.
Harry K
Evan wrote:

That sounds like a correct answer. I've also wondered about those weird screws.
On 3/10/2010 11:42 PM Evan spake thus:

That makes perfect sense.
So I think I'll go with my instincts next time and just throw those away and replace them with regular wood screws. I don't think those machine threads hold as well as wood threads would (in wood) (if a woodchuck could ...)

- a Usenet "apology"
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:42:20 -0800 (PST), Evan

The best answer.
A metal / glass window arched door, costing 6K, needed a lockset installed and had the extra packet of screws.
Those 'funny' screws are intended for the metal door frame.
Trick is - don't strip the threads.
Some doors or jambs are already cut for 8-32 threads. With the "hybrid" screws, one screw either does wood screw usage, or goes into threaded metal doors, or metal jambs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus