What are those strange screws used for locks?

Page 2 of 3

chaniarts wrote:

Where the building can have a significant number of people in it, the doors have to open out. Else in an emergency if people get to the door before it is open they can pack and it is impossible to get out - has happened many times. Also likely applies to interior doors in the path of egress.
Like the theatre in Chicago, so many years ago. Inswinging exit doors, not a good idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You must be referring to the trick of that old fraudster Barnum, who put signs in his houses of amusement saying "This Way to the Egress!".
"Mommy, when are we gonna see the Egress?"
By the way, your posts are still screwed up (all quoted material is below your sig). Any plans to fix that?

- a Usenet "apology"
Yes, that's good old PT Barnum.
I've had my PC to the shop, and the posts are still screwed up. Sorry.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What does having your computer worked on have to do with the way your posts are formatted? It's not a hardware problem, you know.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:44:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl

A sample question on the net:
"When I do a reply OE automatically sets me up for top posting and puts my signature under the double dash thing.
How can I tell it to set up for bottom posting? For that matter, how can I tell it not to hide my signature under the double dash?"
Answer (s)
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/33809829/topbottom-posting.aspx
You may have to water board Stormy...

Top posting has its disadvantages. Chris can't grasp the basics of snipping and thread structure. I doubt he will comprehend anything about electronics.
Prove me wrong, Chris.
Steve
On 3/14/2010 9:09 PM Steve B spake thus:

You're saying Stormy can't hack it because he's a Mormon????
Now I know you're not, and I know they're not. I once worked for a Mormon, first real job I ever had with a salary and all. Computer products company. The owner, a Mormon, was a friggin' genius who could write code in his head on the fly.
But he was also a friggin' idiot; one trade show he went to, the story came back from the other attendees that he actually put stacks of the Book of Mormon on the table! (This was a computer show, maybe Comdex.)
On the other hand, the company controller, who was a deacon or some such in the local cult organization, was a great guy who told us some of the best filthy dirty jokes I've ever heard.
So I remain neutral on Mormons. When I lived in Flagstaff, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting two or three.

- a Usenet "apology"

No comment. Except that I'm not a Mormon. Any more, that is.
Steve
On 3/15/2010 6:14 AM Steve B spake thus:

Ah, so you're backslidden, eh?

- a Usenet "apology"
There is an expression "you can leave the church, but you can't leave the church alone." Ex-Mormons tend to spend the rest of eternity picking fight, and persecuting.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Harry K wrote:

Were I last lived in PA there definitely was a code that 2 exterior doors had to open in. With a heavy snow and drifting it can become very difficult to open a door that is snowed in. I suppose with a storm door you can remove the glass and crawl out? Never quite understood that situation.

Those are called combination machine-wood screws...
The lock manufacturer supplies them in the lock kit so that you can install the strike plate included with the lock with the same screws on both wood and metal door frames... It saves the lock manufacturer money by omitting inclusion of two pairs of screws one of which would go unused and be discarded...
~~ Evan
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:42:20 -0800 (PST), Evan

Oh.
I was wrong, and you're probably man enough to admit it.

Yeah, you had my head spinning trying to figure out how a small amount of finer threads near the head could result in the screw going in slower near the end. It would still have the other 80% of the coarser threads deep in wood pulling it along too, no? I couldn't figure out what they were for either, but the metal explanation sounds logical.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 04:35:44 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

My only question about that is they do the same thing with the screws you use to put down roof tiles and there is no metal involved. I always assumed the 2 different screw pitches tended to wedge the threads and make them harder to back out. The other thing that happens is when you are pulling through laminations and the screw delaminated the top layer the slower thread at the head will pull the lamination back together right at the end.
On Mar 11, 4:35am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It is logical only if the fine thread portion is larger diameter than the course thread part. I have never seen screws as described but I _could_ open the new lockset I bought a month ago....nah, that would only result in posting a fact, why screw up speculation? :)
Harry K
On 3/11/2010 10:16 AM Harry K spake thus:
>>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:42:20 -0800 (PST), Evan

The machine-threaded part of the screw appears to be exactly the same root and overall diameter as the wood-screw part. hard to see how the wood-screw threads wouldn't mess up the machine threads in the jamb.
You probably have these installed somewhere in your house.

- a Usenet "apology"
I've used these in machine thread applications. Yes, I'd also wonder that the wood screw threads would disturb the machine threads. However, it's worked out and not been a problem. The screws go in, and appear to engage the machine threads properly.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus