What are they thinking

5.9 cents per KWH is about half the national average. Last time I checked, national average was 11 cents per KWH. 40 watts at 11 cents per KWH costs $38.57 per year.
Reply to
Don Klipstein

The manufacturers could knock down the idling power consumption if they cared about your electric bill and pollution from coal burning.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

It's about that in Philadelphia and PA suburbs of Philadelphia now. Chicago and NYC are similarly above the national average.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

In , Ed Pawlowski wrote in part:

My guess is that the LED and the dropping resistor that is probably there for the LED are consuming about 1/4 watt. At national average rate, that's about a quarter a year, not a penny.

If the manufacturer increased the cost of the product by 50 cents by using a more efficient LED that allows 75% reduction in power consumption for it, the increased cost would pay for itself within 3 years.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

In , Ed Pawlowski wrote in part:

My TV consumes 12 watts on standby. I wish power consumption, both for in-use and standby, are in view of customers at retailers.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Slacker.

Check out "Towser", who, for 23 years was the mouser-in-chief at the Glennturrent distillery in Scotland.

Towser earned her place in the Guinness Book of Records by catching 28,898 mice (3+/day) plus an occasional rat, rabbit, and pheasant.

Now had I been Towser's supervisor, and she was bringing me three mice per day, I would have hired her an assistant...

Reply to
HeyBub

The significant thing to remember is Old Towser never really did much to eliminate the mice. They bred up to the food supply and Towser just killed the excess.

Reply to
gfretwell

LOL! Well, I suppose an unused player only user a few watts? Was it a "green" component?

Reply to
Twayne

Mmm, far's I'm concerned the jury's still out, which means the diffs probably aren't great. Logic however says that, when the head moves and disk spins, and that's true of a PC not being used because all sorts of reads/writes still happen, there is an increase in wear and a resulting displacement of lubricaton within the unit as it's pushed aside from the movement of the heads and bearings. Then figure 5400 or 7200 or 10,000 rpm drives and those on constantly are going to wear faster and displace lubrication faster than when not in use. So common sense says there is going to be a difference in wear between a constantly ON and an ON/OFF cycled drive. Do you mean to say that, 9 years ago, you set up a computer and that today the amount of drive space etc. is still large enough? You must be using this machine very sparingly and have very little data on the disk drives installed 9 years ago! Gads, it must be running CP/M, DOS or win4wg. Can other computers even read those drives, I wonder?

How about a description of that machine's specs and its drives? Mfg, model, etc.. I'd love to know more about that machine.

Unless they're old enough to have the face retaining ghosts of printing, used lines across it, I've never had a monitor go bad on my own machine/s. I have an old win98 machine out in the shop I use for various shop-related things and it's a top notch machine. It's even working with the original tiny monitor supplied with it. It's probably only powered up two to three days a week and it's turned off after every session (green attitude here). On my good machine I have policies set to turn it on every morning before I come into the room and off a little after bedtime so I'll hear the announcement. On top of that, my disk drives spin down after more than an hour of idling, followed 5 minutes later by the monitor with one of its settings.

If anything's going to fail, it's most likely a fan IME. Many people pay no attenton to dust & dirt inside their machines & thus the fans & slots for them get fouled with crap making them ineffective and thus they'll eventually fail completely unless another component shuts down due to excessive heat, although the problem is still a fan/s.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

How about backups? Don't you run those overnight too? Or do you just put up with the added slowdowns that sometimes occur? You DO perform periodic backups, right? For when you'll need it? So you can recover in less than a half hour instead of a two day task and getting all your customizations back? I let my backups run during the day; they're smart enough to give over cpu time if something needs it.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I think you should look at those figures again. Maybe 6W or 0.6W? Either that or it's a very old machine? I suspect you may not have been looking at "just" the DVR. Mine when it's off draws 0.6W each; I have two of them. 60W is even a lot for a TV. I think mine was around 7W when it was off. My laser printer was at 0.4W with blips to 1W to keep the fuser wire warmed up.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I turn my computers all the way off when I'm through using them. It could be several times a day depending on what I'm doing. I'll leave a computer on if it's running a defrag or anti-virus program but I'll usually shut it down when I'm done.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Go for "Hibernate" instead. The result is the same as a power-off, but restart takes, at most, five seconds.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've had to repair too many machines that people walked off and left running. Most of the time it's due to the fact that a computer acts like a big vacuum cleaner sucking up every bit of dust in the room. The only computers I recommend to be left running are the servers I build for myself and customers because those machines are designed to run 24/7. I install external air filters that are easy to get to and clean especially on the rack mount systems. It's amazing to me that for just a few dollars more, I can get components with a much higher MTBF rating than standard desktop fare. The workstation I'm using to write this is a Dell Precision 390 and I don't even have the hibernate mode enabled. It takes 1 minute 50 seconds to fully boot from off including me typing in my passwords that allow it to boot. One thing I've been repairing is lightening damage to machines that should have been turned off and unplugged before the owner wandered off somewhere for half a day. It's happened three times to one fellow I fix and maintain computers for. I keep warning him about his power wiring and the improper grounding but he's hard headed. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas