What are they thinking

Page 3 of 3

It's about that in Philadelphia and PA suburbs of Philadelphia now. Chicago and NYC are similarly above the national average.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:57:26 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

That's OK, KWH are easy to find. I can see several now, right from where I'm sitting.
;)
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:57:26 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

That's OK, KWH are easy to find. I can see several now, right from where I'm sitting.
;)
LSMFT wrote the following:

Every night, I turn off the computer, then switch off the power strip that controls my computer and all the peripherals, like monitors, printer, scanner, external HD, speakers, and even desk lights. There is a power strip that shuts off everything when the computer is shut off, but I don't have one.
.--
Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY In the original Orange County. Est. 1683 To email, remove the double zeroes after @

I have a UPS that does that. plug the CPU into the "master" slot and it'll shut down all the peripherals with the CPU, or even if the CPU goes into a reduced power mode from inactivity.
nate

5.9 cents per KWH is about half the national average. Last time I checked, national average was 11 cents per KWH. 40 watts at 11 cents per KWH costs $38.57 per year.

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/What-are-they-thinking-631828-.htm DA wrote: LSMFT wrote:

Many of these devices are never actually off. Cable TV boxes and I presume your satellite DVR are only turning the front panel display off (or simply switching it for a digital clock). They are constantly in communication with the mothership to check if you're still paying for the channels you expect to come on at a click of a button.
I have my entertainment equipment hooked up to a power conditioner device that has one big OFF button. When I'm done, I just switch everything off through that device. One disadvantage is that Verizon FIOS box takes 3 minutes to come online - won't work until it's authenticated with their servers and it takes time. I've been doing it for 2+ years and everyone in the household is still complaining about that wait time. We're so used to expecting these devices to be on instantly.

I've heard stories that Comcast sales reps are mentioning that their arch-rival Verizon FIOS's devices consume more power, even when off. I don't know if this tactic is working yet - power is still very cheap, most people would hardly notice the difference on their power bill. It must take either serious power cost increase or an EPA intervention to make the manufacturers re-design their devices and procedures. Right now the convenience of "always on" is winning.
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
DA wrote:

I guess if you are regular in your entertainment times the best bet is to put the power strip on a timer. I only watch from 5pm to 11pm. Set my timer to warm up the stuff 15 minutes before 5pm and to cut it off at a half hour after 11pm in case I want to watch the news again.
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
On Apr 25, 10:32am, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

A DVR wouldn't be of much use if it were turned off, would it? The whole point to how most people use them is that at least part of it is on 24/7 to be able to record shows that are scheduled. I get a season's pass on my Tivo and it records programs that match my requirements whenever they happen to be on. If it were sitting there powered down all together, it would be close to useless.
In typed:

LOL! Well, I suppose an unused player only user a few watts? Was it a "green" component?
In typed:

It's the users and purchasers that insist on the "instant on" features on everything. No one is willing to wait any more. I'm not sure I trust the accuracy of your measurements, but the gist of y our comments are true.
HTH,
Twayne`

I'd like to see a breakdown on the components. I'd guess the DVR takes the bulk of the power. My TV says it takes less than a watt on standby, but the DVR is always looking to do something, such as record or wake up. Problem is, if you power it down, the reboot is very long and the channel guide is lost for some time. Not to mention some recordings will never take place.
in part:

My TV consumes 12 watts on standby. I wish power consumption, both for in-use and standby, are in view of customers at retailers.

in part:

My guess is that the LED and the dropping resistor that is probably there for the LED are consuming about 1/4 watt. At national average rate, that's about a quarter a year, not a penny.
If the manufacturer increased the cost of the product by 50 cents by using a more efficient LED that allows 75% reduction in power consumption for it, the increased cost would pay for itself within 3 years.