What are they thinking

Page 2 of 3
On 4/25/2011 11:13 AM, Red Green wrote:

good in most parts of the country. Agreed it's not as efficient as using those watts to run a heat pump, but the cat really likes to use the DVR warming tray.
On 4/25/2011 2:35 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

If your DVR has an onboard cooling fan (wish mine did), ya may wanna discourage that. DVRs are basically purpose-built specialty PCs, subject to the same failure modes. I killed two before I realized it had no fan, and needed to live up on blocks to get enough air underneath so the hard drive wouldn't self-destruct. PCs do not like being full of cat hair. Go ahead, ask me how I know that.
--
aem sends...

How the hell did you get a big gopher inside your computer? A mouse, yes, but a gopher is at least 5x the size of a mouse.
Smitty Two wrote:

Slacker.
Check out "Towser", who, for 23 years was the mouser-in-chief at the Glennturrent distillery in Scotland.
Towser earned her place in the Guinness Book of Records by catching 28,898 mice (3+/day) plus an occasional rat, rabbit, and pheasant.
Now had I been Towser's supervisor, and she was bringing me three mice per day, I would have hired her an assistant...

The significant thing to remember is Old Towser never really did much to eliminate the mice. They bred up to the food supply and Towser just killed the excess.
In wrote:

I think you should look at those figures again. Maybe 6W or 0.6W? Either that or it's a very old machine? I suspect you may not have been looking at "just" the DVR. Mine when it's off draws 0.6W each; I have two of them. 60W is even a lot for a TV. I think mine was around 7W when it was off. My laser printer was at 0.4W with blips to 1W to keep the fuser wire warmed up.
HTH,
Twayne`
notbob wrote:

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100 kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45
Where is it at .14?
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
LSMFT wrote:

the national avg is almost 12, so 14 doesn't sound out of line

Probably not, but we use propane whenever possible. That can be expensive, too, at as high as $200 mo in dead of Winter. Then go 6-8 mos on one tank. I love it here in Rockies, but cold costs! ;)
nb
Cut power to some stuff too long like satellite and cable boxes and NO SERVICE will greet you when you try to use it again, and DVR boxes must be powered on to record when needed. Some things deauthorize themselves when off line too long
although I agree theres way too much waste!

My propane has gone crazy this winter because of a single pipeline accident over a year ago. Last year it averaged $3.40/gal-- this year $4.39. [and while I'm looking- oil was $2.87, now $3.61]
Jim

My oil boiler was replaced two years ago. It is almost 40% savings from the old one of 30 years. In 2010 calendar year, I burned 336 gallons less than I'd have used before. Savings about $1200. It is easily paying for itself now.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:42:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I only use 4-500 gallons of oil. If I could cut $1200 from my bill I'd be a happy camper.<g>
Mine's a furnace & I replaced a 30 year old Sears with a new Aire-Ease in 2009. I now believe in the soot test. The last time the guy tested that old Sears he said it was still 85% efficient. The guy who did the final setup on the new one said it was 87%. My oil consumption for the last 2 winters was just slightly less than previous. [Actually, the "degree days per gallon number for 2008 and 2009 was 16.3 both years-- but the furnace is a lot quieter, didn't shut down unexpectedly & haven't lost any sleep over which part would go that I couldn't find or build]
Jim

Did you look at those changes based on heating degrees days? A bud was so happy one year that his costs went down so much from one year to the next after he put in the new furnace. Sorta hated to mention that winter was one of the warmer ones on record (grin).

Eight thousand feet in the CO Rockies. It was $.12 back in SF Bay Area. Not cheap, out West.
nb

in Maine in the winter, the power wasted is not really "wasted", it helps keep your house warm...
but in the summer if you are using A/C, then its more like DOUBLY wasted, you pay for the heat and pay again to pump the heat out.
So turn all that stuff off in the summer but don't worry about it in the winter.
Mark

and fees

-snip-
-snip-
.14 is cheap.<g> I've been paying National Grid in NY between 14 & 16 for at least 3 years. That is the actual cost. During that time the 'advertised' cost has gone all over the board from 4.7 to 13 cents. In the last 3 months they tell me the rate has gone from 8.3 to 5.7. My cost has gone from 15.6 to 15.1.
Jim

Are you sure you are counting both the delivery and generation rates? http://www.maine.gov/mpuc/electricity/delivery_rates.shtml
Average Delivery Rate (/kWh) Residential 6.76 /kWh
Standrd offer for generation is $0.084906
so, your total is closer to 15.25
Here in CT I'm paying about 16.5 total.

Interesting mine goes up after the first 100KWH
Jimmie