What are they thinking

That's OK, KWH are easy to find. I can see several now, right from where I'm sitting.

;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Of course, in the winter, it adds to the heat in the house, which is good in most parts of the country. Agreed it's not as efficient as using those watts to run a heat pump, but the cat really likes to use the DVR warming tray.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Florida for one. That is bottom line, including all the various taxes and fees

Reply to
gfretwell

A DVR wouldn't be of much use if it were turned off, would it? The whole point to how most people use them is that at least part of it is on

24/7 to be able to record shows that are scheduled. I get a season's pass on my Tivo and it records programs that match my requirements whenever they happen to be on. If it were sitting there powered down all together, it would be close to useless.
Reply to
trader4

If your DVR has an onboard cooling fan (wish mine did), ya may wanna discourage that. DVRs are basically purpose-built specialty PCs, subject to the same failure modes. I killed two before I realized it had no fan, and needed to live up on blocks to get enough air underneath so the hard drive wouldn't self-destruct. PCs do not like being full of cat hair. Go ahead, ask me how I know that.

Reply to
aemeijers

-snip-

-snip-

.14 is cheap. I've been paying National Grid in NY between 14 &

16 for at least 3 years. That is the actual cost. During that time the 'advertised' cost has gone all over the board from 4.7 to 13 cents. In the last 3 months they tell me the rate has gone from 8.3 to 5.7. My cost has gone from 15.6 to 15.1.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My propane has gone crazy this winter because of a single pipeline accident over a year ago. Last year it averaged $3.40/gal-- this year $4.39. [and while I'm looking- oil was $2.87, now $3.61]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Every night, I turn off the computer, then switch off the power strip that controls my computer and all the peripherals, like monitors, printer, scanner, external HD, speakers, and even desk lights. There is a power strip that shuts off everything when the computer is shut off, but I don't have one.

.--

Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY In the original Orange County. Est. 1683 To email, remove the double zeroes after @

Reply to
willshak

"Kurt Ullman" wrote

I have two. One is shut down when not in use for a long period, say more than a few hours. It is usually used once a day soit is shut down for the other 18 to 20..

My main computer is never turned off, but I put it in sleep mode. Given that it shuts down the fans and HDD, it has to save some power. Takes about

10 seconds to come back up. I can go for weeks between re-boots.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd like to see a breakdown on the components. I'd guess the DVR takes the bulk of the power. My TV says it takes less than a watt on standby, but the DVR is always looking to do something, such as record or wake up. Problem is, if you power it down, the reboot is very long and the channel guide is lost for some time. Not to mention some recordings will never take place.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"LSMFT" wrote

Are you sure you are counting both the delivery and generation rates?

Average Delivery Rate (¢/kWh) Residential

6.76 ¢/kWh

Standrd offer for generation is $0.084906

so, your total is closer to 15.25¢

Here in CT I'm paying about 16.5¢ total.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

My oil boiler was replaced two years ago. It is almost 40% savings from the old one of 30 years. In 2010 calendar year, I burned 336 gallons less than I'd have used before. Savings about $1200. It is easily paying for itself now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I only use 4-500 gallons of oil. If I could cut $1200 from my bill I'd be a happy camper.

Mine's a furnace & I replaced a 30 year old Sears with a new Aire-Ease in 2009. I now believe in the soot test. The last time the guy tested that old Sears he said it was still 85% efficient. The guy who did the final setup on the new one said it was 87%. My oil consumption for the last 2 winters was just slightly less than previous. [Actually, the "degree days per gallon number for 2008 and

2009 was 16.3 both years-- but the furnace is a lot quieter, didn't shut down unexpectedly & haven't lost any sleep over which part would go that I couldn't find or build]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Did you look at those changes based on heating degrees days? A bud was so happy one year that his costs went down so much from one year to the next after he put in the new furnace. Sorta hated to mention that winter was one of the warmer ones on record (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I have a UPS that does that. plug the CPU into the "master" slot and it'll shut down all the peripherals with the CPU, or even if the CPU goes into a reduced power mode from inactivity.

nate

Reply to
N8N

that is true for high heat, however, changes of temperature is a larger enemy. one of the reasons why computer rooms are so tightly temp controlled. things expand/contract as they heat up and cool off, causing physical changes and stress fractures over time. it is FAR better for longevity to leave them running than to power cycle them daily.

working for a computer company, we see more hardware failures on powerup than during normal operations. our computers are currently seeing between 6 and 7 9s for uptime, so they run for quite a long time.

Reply to
chaniarts

How the hell did you get a big gopher inside your computer? A mouse, yes, but a gopher is at least 5x the size of a mouse.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I have less trouble with my computer when it gets a daily reboot so I turn it of unles Im doing a complete virus scan or something similar that takes forever and can be done while Im sleeping.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Interesting mine goes up after the first 100KWH

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I turn off my computer's power strip when I am done with the computer. That saves about 15 watts. I forget exactly.

Reply to
Don Klipstein