What are they thinking

Page 1 of 3
Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.
I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new power gadget.
Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite DVR, and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes 150 watts turned on.
That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48 a year. That's real money.
If my light bill is $36.00 a month, by unplugging the power strip my bill drops to $20.00 a month.
Think of all the entertainment systems in the country!? .37 KWH times 200,000,000; that's 74 million KWH!!!!
We are certainly not trying to save energy by manufacturing devices that consume power when turned off. It's Nuts!
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
On 4/25/2011 9:10 AM, LSMFT wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power
says if off, average savings would be 0.08% per year.
I turn off what I can but cable TV boxes if turned off need time to reboot and it is a PITA.

And, for at least one of my TVs, if I cut off power, then I need to reprogram it. PITA. ANybody care weigh in on whether I should turn my computer all the way off then boot up again the next morning?
In wrote:

Depends on whether you believe that turning hard drives on/off noticeably shortens their lives due to excessive wear patterns vs being green. My PC, monitor and laser printer all consume 5 to 7 watts when in standby/off modes. If I'm goign to turn the computer off overnight I'd use Hibernate mode so that when you come in next morning there's no boot up to wait for. Turn computer on and everything is simply read in from storage on the hard drive instead of booting.
HTH,
Twayne`

This used to be the case a long time ago when HDDs were clunky and prone to failure. No longer. I run my computer all day long and turn it off every night. It's over 9 yrs old.
If anything is gonna fail, it's the monitor. I still use old CRTs and I've been through 3 (all acquired used, mind you) in the last 3 yrs. My next will be a LCD/LED/whatever.
nb

I have less trouble with my computer when it gets a daily reboot so I turn it of unles Im doing a complete virus scan or something similar that takes forever and can be done while Im sleeping.
Jimmie
In wrote:

How about backups? Don't you run those overnight too? Or do you just put up with the added slowdowns that sometimes occur? You DO perform periodic backups, right? For when you'll need it? So you can recover in less than a half hour instead of a two day task and getting all your customizations back? I let my backups run during the day; they're smart enough to give over cpu time if something needs it.
HTH,
Twayne`
In wrote:

Mmm, far's I'm concerned the jury's still out, which means the diffs probably aren't great. Logic however says that, when the head moves and disk spins, and that's true of a PC not being used because all sorts of reads/writes still happen, there is an increase in wear and a resulting displacement of lubricaton within the unit as it's pushed aside from the movement of the heads and bearings. Then figure 5400 or 7200 or 10,000 rpm drives and those on constantly are going to wear faster and displace lubrication faster than when not in use. So common sense says there is going to be a difference in wear between a constantly ON and an ON/OFF cycled drive. Do you mean to say that, 9 years ago, you set up a computer and that today the amount of drive space etc. is still large enough? You must be using this machine very sparingly and have very little data on the disk drives installed 9 years ago! Gads, it must be running CP/M, DOS or win4wg. Can other computers even read those drives, I wonder?
How about a description of that machine's specs and its drives? Mfg, model, etc.. I'd love to know more about that machine.

Unless they're old enough to have the face retaining ghosts of printing, used lines across it, I've never had a monitor go bad on my own machine/s. I have an old win98 machine out in the shop I use for various shop-related things and it's a top notch machine. It's even working with the original tiny monitor supplied with it. It's probably only powered up two to three days a week and it's turned off after every session (green attitude here). On my good machine I have policies set to turn it on every morning before I come into the room and off a little after bedtime so I'll hear the announcement. On top of that, my disk drives spin down after more than an hour of idling, followed 5 minutes later by the monitor with one of its settings.
If anything's going to fail, it's most likely a fan IME. Many people pay no attenton to dust & dirt inside their machines & thus the fans & slots for them get fouled with crap making them ineffective and thus they'll eventually fail completely unless another component shuts down due to excessive heat, although the problem is still a fan/s.
HTH,
Twayne`

I have two. One is shut down when not in use for a long period, say more than a few hours. It is usually used once a day soit is shut down for the other 18 to 20..
My main computer is never turned off, but I put it in sleep mode. Given that it shuts down the fans and HDD, it has to save some power. Takes about 10 seconds to come back up. I can go for weeks between re-boots.
Smitty Two wrote:

that is true for high heat, however, changes of temperature is a larger enemy. one of the reasons why computer rooms are so tightly temp controlled. things expand/contract as they heat up and cool off, causing physical changes and stress fractures over time. it is FAR better for longevity to leave them running than to power cycle them daily.
working for a computer company, we see more hardware failures on powerup than during normal operations. our computers are currently seeing between 6 and 7 9s for uptime, so they run for quite a long time.

I turn off my computer's power strip when I am done with the computer. That saves about 15 watts. I forget exactly.
--
- Don ( snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com)

On 4/25/2011 8:32 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

could be several times a day depending on what I'm doing. I'll leave a computer on if it's running a defrag or anti-virus program but I'll usually shut it down when I'm done.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Go for "Hibernate" instead. The result is the same as a power-off, but restart takes, at most, five seconds.
On 4/29/2011 8:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I've had to repair too many machines that people walked off and left running. Most of the time it's due to the fact that a computer acts like a big vacuum cleaner sucking up every bit of dust in the room. The only computers I recommend to be left running are the servers I build for myself and customers because those machines are designed to run 24/7. I install external air filters that are easy to get to and clean especially on the rack mount systems. It's amazing to me that for just a few dollars more, I can get components with a much higher MTBF rating than standard desktop fare. The workstation I'm using to write this is a Dell Precision 390 and I don't even have the hibernate mode enabled. It takes 1 minute 50 seconds to fully boot from off including me typing in my passwords that allow it to boot. One thing I've been repairing is lightening damage to machines that should have been turned off and unplugged before the owner wandered off somewhere for half a day. It's happened three times to one fellow I fix and maintain computers for. I keep warning him about his power wiring and the improper grounding but he's hard headed. ^_^
TDD

you live?
snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote:

OOPS! I had it programed wrong, .59 instead of .059. The money is wrong but the watts are right. It's still pissing millions of KWH down the toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
On 4/25/2011 8:57 AM, LSMFT wrote: ...

But they aren't truly unused; they're saving preprogrammed data and the other aforementioned annoyance of slow on-time, etc., etc., etc., ...
If you want to try it and see how you like it the other way, put them on a power strip and turn 'em off and see how that goes for a while.
There is no free lunch; you're paying for the convenience and the facility to have those kinds of entertainment devices ready at hand when wanted. (I'll not discuss whether that's a need or not since I'm the type who's yet to program the VCR (which hasn't seen more than one or two uses in its life) and don't have DVD other than the drive in this machine which has, as far as I know, never had a DVD played in it...altho I might be getting ready for the first; I bought a Leigh dovetail jig the other day and I just _MIGHT_ try to watch a little of the instructional DVD... :) ).

The manufacturers could knock down the idling power consumption if they cared about your electric bill and pollution from coal burning.

Only $.059/kwhr!? Again, where do YOU live? We pay $.14 kwhr.
As for the vampire thing, start walking thru yer house. Clock radio, night light, electric toothbrush, cordless phone, lighted doorbell button and light swithces, microwave, digital clock on stove, blah blah.... ad nauseum.
It's positively shocking how much crap we have leeching pwr 24/7. The power companies love it. ;)
nb

satellite boxes espicall DVRs are power hungry, turn off a satellite receiver only turns off the modulator, leaves everything else on.
a easy test...... feel the item if its wearm its wasting energy:(