What are these things I bought at an auction?

Page 2 of 2

Ignorant, to me, means never having heard the answer to something. Once you have heard it, you aren't ignorant any more if you don't choose to take it in, but only dumb.
Truly stupid people are ones who refuse to learn.
And "ignorant" can also mean those who think they know everything. IMHO, anyway.
We all can learn something every day. Lots of things every day. By observing. By asking questions. By reading. Where would we be, though, if all the smartass pompous ignorant know-it-alls were in charge instead of people willing to pass along knowledge in the sacred relationship of teacher/disciple. (disciple means student in the dictionary, and has nothing to do with religion, BTW)
I hope I never stop learning.
Steve
wrote

I dislike using the word ignorant. Most folks consider it an insult, even when they don't think they know everything.

Well said.
Pagan

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:31:17 -0700, Pagan wrote:

OK, let me rephrase that. Not being able to put that simple search into Google, and get something useful from it, makes one "stupid" instead of "ignorant". You're absolutely correct.

I'm not a mind reader, and my crystal ball is in for repairs. How can you know what he "meant". All we can go by (here on Usenet) is what is "said".

It does? You can deduce that simply by reading one post by me? Wow.

Nah, I don't want to imitate you. I'm my own person.

Well, you would know, huh?
Linux Registered User #327951

Not knowing something would be called ignorant. For instance, let's just say I didn't know what the word "ignorant" means, and despite my anger and astonishment at others' failure to use Google, I am far too stupid to look at www.dictionary.com and find out what that word is all about. That would make ME ignorant.
Calling someone "ignorant" as an insult, however, would be quite foolish when said person is asking a question. To ask a question implies, in the strongest sense in most cases, that the asker is indeed ignorant about the subject about which he is asking.
Perhaps he didn't think of Google at the time. Perhaps he has recieved so much help from this newsgroup, or seen others get help, that his first thought was coming here and asking a question.
This does not make one stupid.
However, if he Was stupid, you behaving like a jerk isn't going to suddenly turn him into a brain doctor.

To be honest, I didn't know what he meant. Flaming the guy isn't going to suddenly enlighten me, so I sat back and observed others' responses.
If there were no responses, I would probably do what I do in public (where getting your ass whooped is a real possibility) and simply ask him to clarify.

One? How can you possibly know how many posts by you I have read? You just claimed you aren't a mind reader. Not only will you blast a guy for asking a simple question, calling him ignorant and stupid, but then you throw this post up, showing yourself to be both, and oddly enough, quite proud of the fact.
I actually read two of your posts, in this same thread. That's one more post than I need to see what a prick you are, but the second confirms things nicely.
Anyway, to answer your poorly thought out question, it is far easier to judge folks by their behavior than by their knowledge.

Weak insults are also pathetic. At least do all the readers of this newsgroup a favor and come up with something amusingly creative.
Pagan
Another winning post from the useless Dan C.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:55:49 -0500, Dan C

I bet he's blonde and so is his wife !!! I am afraid to think about the offspring...... (and for the record, an OFFSPRING is the spring they use to turn OFF a Welder)..... :)
Toller,
The Lenox web site shows a 6 piece kit. The diameter and the angle of the cone vary from bit to bit. I'm no expert but I suspect the small dia., acute angles are to drill through tougher material. #2 welding cable is a #2 gauge cable that is suitable for welding. I've seen it used in auto jumper cables. As copper it has value. I do not know if it can be used in situations where a continuous current is intended.
Dave M.