What are these plumbing things called?

Not necessarily.
After 9-11, the FAA and other government agencies said "We need a plan in case another hijacking like this occurs."
After due deliberation by all the stake holders, you won't believe what they came up with.
They concluded that the best plan was no plan at all, that the experts on the scene and in control could devise an ad hoc response far better than any pre-programmed response.
You may remember the movie about the attack. At some point, after at least two buildings were hit, the head of the FAA asked: "How many aircraft aloft over CONUS?"
"About forty-eight hundred," came the response.
"Okay. This shit stops right now. I want ATC-Zero nationwide."
"That's never been done! You can't do that!"
"I just did. Make it happen. Everything in the air is to land at the nearest airport."
On Sat, 22 May 2010 20:44:14 -0700, Smitty Two

The Contingency Plans, at work years ago had a Disclaimer:
(paraphrasing)
"These plans are not expected to cover every situation that might arise. Common sense must be used."
Example: As a guest tenant agency on an military base plans, were given to the military for review and comment, then approved so they could go to Washington, D.C.
On September 11, 2001, the base went to DEFCON 3. Certainly not part of our CP.
We had plans for say, 12 hour shifts. But never "pack a suitcase for three days".
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

The rig exploded, burnt, fell over, and sank.
Five thousand feet of 21" pipe toppled over like a giant, semi-flexible, redwood.
The pipe broke and ruptured in at least three places.
The END of the pipe is probably not square, but jagged, bent, and deformed. The other (at least) two breaks are certainly irregular and probably buried under several hundred feet of collapsed pipe.
I'm sure BP will give your suggestion all the attention it deserves and I applaud your diligence of your diligence in determining the name of the device to use rather than insisting BP "employ one of those gizmos used to plug holes in the bottom of a rowboat."
"Expandable plug" will go a long way in adding authenticity and expertise to your suggestion.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Test plug?
It would take quite a plug to stop that pressure, and quite a machine to put it into place.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Upon further reflection, your suggestion reminds me of one I encountered some years ago.
During the Viet Nam war, a backwoods citizen learned of the problems our military was having with tunnel-bound VC. Knowing nothing about warfare, but an expert on rabbits, and knowing less than nothing about the chain of command but having met his local congressman, he sent a tip to his representative. His plan was to have the military loose a wild rabbit in the jungle. The rabbit would take off like a, well, scared rabbit. The soldiers would then loose the dogs. The rabbit would zip down the nearest hole, the dogs would gather 'round the hole and bark, the soldiers would approach the dogs and discover the entrance to a Viet Cong tunnel complex.
The congressman's aide, evidently not reading the letter, but noting the words "Viet Nam" sent the letter to the Congressional liason officer to the Pentagon. That liason officer, also not reading the letter, dropped it in the inner-office mail where it eventually came to rest and the following response was generated (paraphrasing):
Dear Congressman (blank)
I have at hand a copy of the letter sent to you by your constituent (blank) in which he suggests using wild rabbis in Viet Nam. The military does not currently use wild rabbits in Viet Nam, but we have been using dogs - mostly in security applications - for some time with excellent results.
Early last year, a study was conducted on the viability of using wild rabbits in Viet Nam. While the conclusions of that study remain classified, I can report that the United States Military Command Wild Rabbit Training Facility was opened in San Diego to take advantage of the language school located at the San Diego Naval Base.
The facility began with five hutches, three does, and two bucks. The number of rabbits currently enrolled changes every second, but the hutch facility now extends as far east as Fort Worth, Texas.
We are currently looking for a Director, U.S. Military Command Wild Rabbit Training Facility. The only qualification for this position is that the applicant be able to think like a rabbit. I would like to nominate your constitute (blank) for the job.
Also needed is an Assistant Director, U.S. Military Command Wild Rabbit Training Facility. The only requirement for this position is the ability to think like a carrot! I strongly urge the numbskull in your office who forwarded (blank's) suggestion.
Very cordially yours,
Leonard F. Chapman, General Commandant, United States Marine Corps
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

What the need to do use a blow-out preventer that is not broken. It HAS a rubber plug that is operated by hydraulic to block the flow. The plug was destroyed in a test. The backup hydraulic pump was broken and a hydraulic ram was missing. Talk about stupid engineers!
There are any number of ways they could have stopped the blowout. They could have used a portable hydraulic clamp with the ROV to squeeze the pipe shut. They could have cut off the pipe just above the BOP and slipped another pipe over the old one and clamped it in place or an air balloon seal. They are the most incompetent bunch I have ever seen. Shows you what the engineering schools are graduating now-a-days.
--
LSMFT