what are these ground pipes?

In front of my house there are steel pipes sticking out of the ground 7 inches away from the foundation. These are 3/4 - 1 inch thick pipes that extend up 8 inches to an elbow joint. The elbows connect to a horizontal top pipe 24 inches long. The top pipe connects the two vertical pipes to each other. The whole thing forms rectangle that sticks out of the ground.

There are two of these rectangles in front of the house and another taller one on the side of the house.

Any idea what these could be?

Thanks,

Russ

Reply to
Russ

Hitching post.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Chin up bars for rodents?

Where are they located exactly? Are there any utilities of some sort near those points inside the house?

RicodJour

Boot scrapers?

Reply to
CJT

Do they coincide with basement windows, or any other feature on the house? They might be some kind of landscaping/decorative piece, though I can't figure what. I think I've seen something similar to this before and for some reason I keep thinking that people have mounted flower boxes on them...

Reply to
louie

There is a basement but they are not near any basement windows. They look like some sort of utility pipe. They are not decorative at all. The house was built in 1949. I don't think it's for a flower box. One of them is above the water line and one on the side is near the natural gas meter. The other is near nothing. Hitching post, rodent chin ups or boot scrapers? Hmmm, great ideas but I don't think it would work well for those either :). Hopefully I can rule out an underground oil tank. That was my main concern. More ideas?

Reply to
Russ

I doubt it is the same, but my cottage has similar pipes sticking up to facilitate draining the water pipes where there isn't enough room to run them on a slope.

Hitching posts seems most likely though.

Reply to
Toller

Vents for a home bomb shelter? There were quite a few installed in the late 1950's to early 60's. Some were built under the garages, and others were simply buried in the yard under concrete.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Hitching post for what? I assumed he meant horse hitching post that was a joke along with rodent chin-ups.

Reply to
Russ

Remains of a bench? If you put a plank on top, would it make a seat or some kind of bench or table, seems too low for that but if the planks were thick or there was more to it at one time....

Sounds like you're going to have to dig a test hole next to one. If they are anchored in concrete, it may be safe to assume they were once a component of a lawn decoration and not a utility. A underground tank might have a fill and vent pipe but they would not be connected together.

Any old neighbors in the hood to ask what was there in the past?

Reply to
PipeDown

natural

They nmay have been there to protect utility meters and lines that were originally there from dmage from mowers, etc...

Reply to
Rick

Given their proximity to things you wouldn't want to mow, maybe they're for protection -- bumpers +/-? Perhaps there was once something worthy of protection near the third one, too.

Reply to
CJT

Oops, I see you got there first.

Reply to
CJT

Do any of your neighbors have these? You might want to go several blocks in all directions. It's a good way to get to know your neighbors. If you mean any old men, ask them. Even if they don't have one, they might have known what was done then. like we all know about current things we don't have.

The bomb shelter vent seems reasonable, except afaict from your description, they are open nowhere. And people were mostly building fallout shelter then, which had to have a very good filter on the air intake.

If they are only 8 inches hight, that doesn't seem like a bench.

I'm confused. How does this help drain the water pipes.

Or these were the brackets that held the Earth to the missile that launched it. A lot of people think Earth was launched by the inhabitants of Saturn (using a Saturn missile of course.), to be used as a communications satellite, but the missile went awry and the eventual orbit was not as intended. The big hole in this theory has been the lack of evidence of launch arrangements. I think you've found them.

Obviously the house was built around the pipes that were already there.

mm

You got to have something to tie your horse to when you get out of the saddle. Thank the former owner for installing them, and Happy Trails......

Post a picture for us to see......

Reply to
anoldfart2

I took the rodent chinups seriously..... VERY SERIOUSLY

Reply to
anoldfart2

Thats easy to test. Go in your bomb shelter. Look for pipes. When you find them, put a radio next to the pipes and go outside to listen for the radio. CAUTION: Since this is a bomb shelter, do not play any "heavy metal" music or one of the bombs may explode.

PS. You should be glad you got a bomb shelter, with the state of the world these days, we should all be building them.

Reply to
anoldfart2

In a row-house neighborhood where I once lived it was common to see "clothes driers" near or attached to houses, that were made from 3/4 or 1" iron pipe.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Wow, reading that brings back a lot of memories. Those are actually for the Christmas decorations. You wrap the lights around them. When I was a kid, my father made a bunch of those rectangle pipes.

Reply to
Mikepier

Must have been Lilliput since the pipes ate only 8" high. Or maybe someplace with Smurfs

Reply to
PipeDown