What are these called and where can I buy them?

We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures here:

I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy them.

I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these things are, I might be able to order some online?

I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
MikeB

Do you think you could take a picture that was in focus and from two different angles with more light?

Reply to
Meat Plow

These things are hard to photograph. Using the flash is a disaster. I need something like a macro focus, but it doesn't seem the camera has that. I guess I can try taking them from a bigger distance and see how they turn out.

Reply to
MikeB

here:

and

try browsing the catalog online at:

buffalobill

Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.

RLM

OK, I tried the picture thing again - I'm not sure I was much more successful, but that seems to be the best I can do.

MikeB

Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out whilst these should be nearly flat.

I think these may do the trick,

but the min quantity is 100 @ $26+ and shipping extra. As my daughter says "sweet niblets!" that's a lot of money (and a lot of clips).

I actually tried some of the other clips pictured on that page, they just didn't work. I'm thinking it may be ugly, but I may just end up screwing a large washer to the inside of the door to hold the glass in place.

Reply to
MikeB

If you call a glass shop or picture framer, ask for "glazier's clips". They probably know what it is. I did a google search and found instructions for picture framing that called them "sprigs".

Reply to
Norminn

Mirror clips may work if you can find some that go in instead of out.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Glass Retainer Clips?

Enlarge the image, I have a cabinet with glass panels and clips similar *A*

Oren

Ya mean turn the clip 180 :p

Reply to
Oren

Take a look here

scroll down the page looking for "retainer" clips. 3 styles, while different than yours, may work

Reply to
Reed

The thumb screw type will finish the job. Your link has black, They are metal. Once mounted - you put any thickness of glass in the caninet door and adjsut snug.

Reply to
Oren

Meant to add the link.

Oren

I'm not sure either. Try taking sharper photos, then crosspost your question to the rec.woodworking group.

Probably. Try looking at Lee Valley Tools

Woodworker's Hardware
Rockler Woodworking & Hardware
Woodcraft

I'm sure there must be a Rockler or Woodcraft store somewhere in the DFW metro area; check the store finders on their web sites.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Most glass shops (not an autoglass shop) stock those or something similar that will work.

Just take one with you.

Reply to
Ron

:On Dec 22, 3:17 pm, RLM wrote: : :>

:> Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips. :>

:>

: :Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out :whilst these should be nearly flat. : :I think these may do the trick, :
:but the min quantity is 100 @ $26+ and shipping extra. As my daughter :says "sweet niblets!" that's a lot of money (and a lot of clips). : :I actually tried some of the other clips pictured on that page, they :just didn't work. I'm thinking it may be ugly, but I may just end up :screwing a large washer to the inside of the door to hold the glass in :place.

I actually made a screen for my bedroom window and hold it in place with

4 pennies. I drilled holes in them, a bit off center and hold them in place with a single wood screw through the hole. Turn the penny and it holds the screen molding fine.
Reply to
Dan_Musicant

If you already have mirror clips just turn them over and use the "flat" side. Or if you wanted to you could grind them flat. (PITA)

Reply to
Ron

They are called retaining clips, or glass retainers. The only one's I have seen in places like homedepot have been in the area where they sell parts for aluminum screen or storm windows, and they looked cheap.

I'd find a local place (aren't Rocklers everywhere) that carries cabinetmakers hardware and see what they have there. They usually come in a kit or package with multiple units, so you can replace all the clips to make a neat looking job.

You could also do an > We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place

Reply to
Not

here:

and

Thank you all for those helpful replies and pointers. I'm well on my way now! You guys rock!

Reply to
MikeB