What are these called and where can I buy them?

Page 1 of 2
We have glass-fronted bookcases in our den. The glass is kept in place by a kind of screw-in clip (pictures here:
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/18dd435f.jpg and
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/325e3221.jpg)
I don't know what to call these things, and I don't know where to buy them.
I tried the large home-improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes), but only got blank stares. The only ACE hardware I know of near me closed some time back. If I can figure out what the correct name for these things are, I might be able to order some online?
I live in the DFW area of Texas, so if you know of a local store that stock these things, I'd also really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:49:10 -0800, MikeB wrote:

Do you think you could take a picture that was in focus and from two different angles with more light?

These things are hard to photograph. Using the flash is a disaster. I need something like a macro focus, but it doesn't seem the camera has that. I guess I can try taking them from a bigger distance and see how they turn out.

Glass Retainer Clips?
Enlarge the image, I have a cabinet with glass panels and clips similar *A*
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID 78

OK, I tried the picture thing again - I'm not sure I was much more successful, but that seems to be the best I can do.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/9036851c.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/3cf3d6cb.jpg
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:37:28 -0800, MikeB wrote:

Mirror clips may work if you can find some that go in instead of out.

Ya mean turn the clip 180 :p

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/9036851c.jpghttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/HollowOak/Clippies/3cf3d6cb.jpg
Most glass shops (not an autoglass shop) stock those or something similar that will work.
Just take one with you.

try browsing the catalog online at: www.hdsupplysolutions.com
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:49:10 -0800, MikeB wrote:

Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.
http://www.technologylk.com/products.aspx?category_id 96&source_ID=google&keyword=Mirror_Clips_Hangers&gclid=CLms2J3ovJACFQ2aOAodVgSkXQ

Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out whilst these should be nearly flat.
I think these may do the trick, http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.aspx?product_ID 078&category_ID)72
but the min quantity is 100 @ $26+ and shipping extra. As my daughter says "sweet niblets!" that's a lot of money (and a lot of clips).
I actually tried some of the other clips pictured on that page, they just didn't work. I'm thinking it may be ugly, but I may just end up screwing a large washer to the inside of the door to hold the glass in place.
: :> :> Watch for wrap. Ask for mirror hanging clips.:> :> http://www.technologylk.com/products.aspx?category_id 96&source_ID=...: : :Now see, I tried that, but mirror hanging clips are usually angled out :whilst these should be nearly flat. : :I think these may do the trick, :http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.aspx?product_ID 078&category_ID)72 : :but the min quantity is 100 @ $26+ and shipping extra. As my daughter :says "sweet niblets!" that's a lot of money (and a lot of clips). : :I actually tried some of the other clips pictured on that page, they :just didn't work. I'm thinking it may be ugly, but I may just end up :screwing a large washer to the inside of the door to hold the glass in :place.
I actually made a screen for my bedroom window and hold it in place with 4 pennies. I drilled holes in them, a bit off center and hold them in place with a single wood screw through the hole. Turn the penny and it holds the screen molding fine.

If you already have mirror clips just turn them over and use the "flat" side. Or if you wanted to you could grind them flat. (PITA)
MikeB wrote:

They probably know what it is. I did a google search and found instructions for picture framing that called them "sprigs".
MikeB wrote:

Take a look here
http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/CTGY/other-drawer-cabinet-hardware
scroll down the page looking for "retainer" clips. 3 styles, while different than yours, may work

The thumb screw type will finish the job. Your link has black, They are metal. Once mounted - you put any thickness of glass in the caninet door and adjsut snug.

Meant to add the link. http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/PROD/other-drawer-cabinet-hardware/32-314

I'm not sure either. Try taking sharper photos, then crosspost your question to the rec.woodworking group.

Probably. Try looking at Lee Valley Tools www.leevalley.com Woodworker's Hardware www.wwhardware.com Rockler Woodworking & Hardware www.rockler.com Woodcraft www.woodcraft.com

I'm sure there must be a Rockler or Woodcraft store somewhere in the DFW metro area; check the store finders on their web sites.
--
Regards,
They are called retaining clips, or glass retainers. The only one's I have seen in places like homedepot have been in the area where they sell parts for aluminum screen or storm windows, and they looked cheap.
MikeB wrote:

Thank you all for those helpful replies and pointers. I'm well on my way now! You guys rock!