What are the top 25 Repeated Questions?

Excellent suggestion about the view thing. My current news server has a short retention rate so that won't work for me unless I do the google thing.

Maybe to FAQ thing. Not sure yet.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks to all who have posted. A lot of good replies. I have saved them all.

I won't waste the bandwidth to respond to each message.

Add more as you think of them.

Having hung around here for as long as I have I can see we are in the summer cycle of questions.

You guys need to think about the winter cycle.

The dog crap thread always becomes the longest thread. Such much emotion. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If this is an effort to reduce questions being asked repeatedly, I think it is counter-productive. No matter how many times a question might be asked, you never can predict when a new contributor will join us who has some good, and NEW advice on a subject. If you want a static source of answers, by a book. If you want to maintain the value of a live interactive group exchange, then use usenet the way it was intended.

If you see a subject line about something you have seen before, and have no interest in, just keep moving on past it.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

Some years ago I participated in writing a FAQ on barbecue. It is still being touted as one of the most accurate pieces of reference material for enthusiasts that has been written. Does it replace questions and interactivity? No, it actually starts conversations.

A well written homeowners FAQ can be a handy guide for many. There will never be a ONE source for anything. Please don't say why it won't be any good when you don't even have a clue what is going to be done. If you don't like it, take your own advice and ignore it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're both right.

  1. A FAQ *is* a Good Thing

  1. Discussion of subjects covered by the FAQ *is* a good thing.

I think there *is* some warranted irritation at those who object to threads about commonly asked questions - this isn't meant to be a library; it's a discussion group. Those bored by what they regard as repetition should just go and find some excitement elsewhere.

Lots of Usenet newsgroups maintain very useful FAQ's while also not discouraging discussion of the subjects they cover, yes, even substantially similar discussions.

So the only danger that needs to be guarded against would be the desire of some to say "read the FAQ, end of story, it's all in there, don't bother us otherwise". Then, those of us who consider new discussions of old subjects, with likely new participants and possibly new products available to talk about, can pipe up and tell those folks to buzz off ;-)

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

Edwin, If you don't like the point I made, which is an entirely valid one, then why didn't YOU ignore it? I didn't tell anyone to ignore anything. See... we're using usenet for what it is intended for. Conversation, not "handy lists"

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

Sort of once sided eh? You make a point and I make a counter point so I'm wrong?

Nothing wrong with conversation, but having a check list of sorts can be a good thing. Why is it wrong for the group here to provide it? Why do you assume it is going to eliminate conversation? My point, that you ignore, is that it can actually stimulate more conversation.

I don't think you really want to discuss anything, you just want to make a point and have everyone agree. How about a real discussion about the potential for a FAQ, what should or should not be in it, and how should it be used?

I ignore things I want to ignore and have no interest in. I discuss things that I do have an interest in. I accept that not everyone will agree with me, but that is their right, even if they are wrong ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Do I need a permit?"

"Do I really need a permit?"

"I mean, do I really really need a permit?

"Isn't a permit just a way for a municipality to rip off homeowners?"

Followed shortly after by someone else asking:

"I just bought a house that had done without a permit and I now want to do . What should I do?"

Reply to
Luke

Both of you guys have excellent points that I agree with.

Rusty is right that no FAQ should ever replace Usenet. The interaction is the best of Usenet (even when it is ugly). We, or at I can always learn something from anybody.

Edwin is right that a well written FAQ can answer many of the basic questions that a complete newbie might ask and inspire new and more challenging ones. Many times on this group I have seen the new poster get slammed in the face with the "are you to d^%#$ dumb to search" Google door. We just lost a regular when that happened.

The truth being that many people do not in fact know how to format a Google search to get the desired result. You Google guru's think about this! Which of those 12M pages is the right one? Until you learned how to refine your search.

Would your buddy at work say have you RTFM (or googled) or would he answer your question?

All of that said, I have no intention of writing a FAQ. I may make some available bandwidth and a domain available for the group to use if the group wants it.

I definitely plan to offer the group a place to post pictures free of charge, banners and pop-ups. It is not quite ready for prime time. I want to get the redirects working before I mention it in the group.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt
25 Getting broken bulb out of socket 24 Holes in drywall patch 23 Mailbox post leans 22 Grubs in the lawn 21 Bathroom sink smells 20 Toilet runs continuous 19 Telephone wiring socket in another room 18 Dishwasher leaks on floor 17 Lock installation -- deadbolts 16 comptuer acts like it's got a virus 15 Attic ventilation 14 furnace doesn't run 13 AC doesn't cool properly 12 Sump pump failure 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 Dog Crap on yard
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A FAQ does a few good things. It answers some very basic questions. It stimulates more informed questions. It has detail that we may leave out at times.

Everything done on newsgroups is voluntary. Sometimes I don't mind typing a fairly long and complex answer to a question, other times I just don't have the time or just don't feel like it. Other times the question is answered properly by others. Then there are the more frequent times I don't have a clue about a subject, but read the answers of others and learn myself.

All the information provided on a newsgroups is available from other sources. Web sites, books, magazine articles, the guy down the street. What they lack is the nuances of a particular scenario that only you may have. Anyone reading newsgroups over time will know that yes, there are dumb questions. The FAQ will not answer them either, but some people are just too lazy to make any attempt to help themselves.

In any case, a FAQ is not something to be feared.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do You Wad? or do you fold?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Reply to
Jim Conway

I agree. The problems I have with FAQ's are:

  1. People will just respond with "did you read the FAQ?"
  2. Products, methods, etc, change over time. The best way to fix a problem today may not be the best way to do it next year at this time. Maybe some newer better product or technology came along. Maybe we realized that the way we always did things isn't the best way now. Someone may just read the FAQ and do it the old way, when if they had asked people could have said "I tried this newer product and it worked BETTER than the one I used to always use". Or "I did it a new way, the way I used to do it worked good, but this is even better".
  3. Maybe an expert happens to read the question when it is posted and can add something not in the FAQ, then the potential poster may have missed out on some great info.
  4. We won't get to see all the stupid replies to the dogshit questions. Wait, maybe that isn't so bad after all.

I'm not saying no to having a FAQ. If there is one, include something about a good way to ask a question, ie: give details!. Don't say "I have a pretty big house..." Say, "My house is 3,300 sq feet"

Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
J Kelly

Good point. Many situations are covered on diy web sites and readily available books. Most are generic in nature so asking a specific question is what makes newsgroups so good. A little basics in that respect is very important in a FAQ so people know what to ask to get the proper response. Every appliance manual has the same few items. Check to see it is plugged in, breaker tripped, etc. OK, that did not do it so let us know what you did try and the results.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That comment is worth a lot more than 2 cents.

Many times the key to getting a worthwhile answer is the subject and content of the question.

Well said

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt