What are the maximum dime

David:

DM> I am considering moving a house to some land we own. My question DM> is,how big a house can I move? Strangely enough, I have had a very DM> difficult time getting a house mover to give me some solid numbers! Of DM> course,they always say it is easier to move a ranch, but beyond that, DM> they start hemming and hawing. They will say something like, "Well it DM> is expensive to cut up a two story" or "the roadways are about 25ft DM> wide" or, "well, the route is determined by the DOT which is out of DM> our control so it depends on that". Well, there must be some DM> dimensions that are considered reasonable! I understand the fact DM> that a two story is too high, but how about a cape cod that is 1 1/2 DM> stories? Does anyone have a rough idea of what width, length, and DM> height(from sill to roof peak) is reasonable?

Where I was raised the house across the street was moved. I don't recall seeing it done (too young) but it's a two story house with a steep roof, so probably closer to 2« stories. The owner was very picky: he had holes drilled in his table legs so he wouldn't have to see the lamp cord dangling (the cords were fed through the hollowed table legs).

It will be necessary to coordinate with the utility companies, police to direct traffic, etc. Power lines crossing the road will have to come down, traffic signals across the path will have to be taken down and remounted. Obviously can't take a route that has a bridge or a skywalk across it!

  • Why is it called chicken fried steak if it's BEEF?
Reply to
barry martin

When I was a kid, they were building the Tappan Zee bridge across the=20 Hudson River (1955). The access roads on my side of the river were being =

cut through South Nyack, which was loaded with old Victorian,=20 Italianate, and other 100 year old homes. They were constantly moving=20 houses from the area. The first few houses being moved were a treat to=20 watch. Thereafter it just became routine. I saw a show on one of the home improvement channels or maybe some other =

channel where they moved a huge brick movie theatre a few blocks. It=20 looked like it was travelling at one mile per hour. I'd hate to think=20 what that cost.

Reply to
willshak

Just about anything can be moved, if you have enough money.

Cape Hatteras lighthouse:

PrecisionMachinisT