What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

Page 4 of 5
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 05:32:56 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I'm not sure what chewed it up.
The whole thing predates me. I've been using it to create compost from kitchen scraps, until my wife got the bright idea of actually using the resulting mulch to grow tomatoes.

The funny thing was, no water came out of the thing (it only dripped a bit at the early connections) so I had figured it wasn't working.
How wrong I was!

On 6/25/2013 5:26 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I wonder if it could have been damage done by a drain bamaged individual wielding a wild weed eater or a lawless lawnmower? ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:35:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Most likely, it was some big fat guy who was composting kitchen scraps with pick and shovel and rake ... who didn't realize what was buried under the soil prior to his arrival.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:06:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

I had not realized this. No wonder they had been buried. Thanks for that tidbit.
I have others popping out of the ground scattered about the yard that I was wondering what they do.
I'll snap a picture in the morning for you.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:13:52 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

These tubes are popping up out of the ground near a buried sprinkler box. I'm sure they go to the sprinkler system, but I haven't dug it all up yet to figure out what's not working.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 14:36:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

Well, this was the theory, but, about 30 feet from the valve box, I ran into a chewed up poly that had no counterpart nearby.
So, I'm pretty sure it's there ... but I have to go mining to find it.
I feel like an archaeologist lately.
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:55:00 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

ace it with something better. But what? One end is merely bent over and nai led to these boards: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/13403755/img/13403 755.jpg And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection: http://www1. picturepush.com/photo/a/13403754/img/13403754.jpg I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:
At H ome Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines to simply pu sh in, but this end seems to be really really stuck. Another elbow nearby h as a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end: http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/13 403769/img/13403769.jpg Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and st art fresh by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting? Note: The pla nts are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting, so it has to be a gentle ir rigation. I think a soaker hose may be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.
If your tomato plants are just now sprouting, you have a bigger problem tha n water, it's timing. Unless you live in the Florida Everglade tomato grow ing area, tomatoes by now should be in full blossom, not just sprouting. Y ou might also go to the Google groups "rec.gardening" web site,
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:24:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Here's a picture of the little buggers the wife planted in the Silicon Valley, oh, about a week or so ago (from store-bought seeds):

We've never done plants before - so - this is a new (and tiny) garden of about 10 feet long by about 4 feet wide:

She's hand watering for now - but I figured I'd get the sprinkler system to work for her as a bonus...
But I'm not sure what's the *appropriate* sprinkler mechanism: a. A sprinkler pop-up head? b. A ladder of drip irrigation hoses? c. A soaker hose?
Oren wrote:

<
http://www.gardendrip.org/images/access_images/12MalePVC700PolyTubingInsert.jpg

<http://www.dripirrigation.com/system/partphotos/492/tdsphoto/LF002L.jpg?1291332194

<
http://www.irrigationdirect.com/media/oldImages/Drip-Compression-Tee-620-Tubing-T620-Installed-for-Rain-Drip.jpg

I use that same 1/2 & 1/4 tubing drip irrigation for my garden and flower beds. Maybe I'm just too simple at it, but if something gets tore up, I just cut that part of the tubing out, and insert a new piece of tubing using the right connectors. I have a lot of my garden in big planters and even some hanging planters, and all of them have 1/4 inch dripper lines going to each planter that has an adjustable sprinkler head. It's all connected to a timer and everything gets watered automatically.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:45:53 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Well, this 3/4" and 1/4" irrigation plastic is all torn up (I'm not sure why):

So, I'd like to start fresh (especially as it's easier to build than to repair), particularly since I have never worked with the stuff before.
Danny D. wrote:

Every spring when I turn on the watering system again, I go through to see what needs to be replaced, and what is still working well. I guess after setting this up originally, I'm just so used to repairing something that wears out I just do it automatically.
One thing about that tubing is that it tends to wear out at the point that you have a dripper or plug, so I've figured out that I just have to cut off about a 1/2 inch where it was connected by worn out and re-attach the original dripper.
btw, that turbing looks like it was damaged by a shovel. I'd probably just cut out the damaged section and connect the 2 pcs with a straight pronged connector if doing that wouldn't make it so the sprinkler on the other end too short.
Good luck on your new set-up!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:14:15 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Do not tell my wife that!
She'll kill me.
On 6/26/2013 6:10 PM, Danny D. wrote:

OK mums the word! :-x
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, Thank you very much for that drawing as I see that whomever it was who originally set up the tubing actually made what appears to be a crude version of a "poor man's figure 8" endloop using electrical tape:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

You weren't kidding it was hard to pull out (the Chinese finger lock description is apropos). I had to pull hard, with pliers:

Of course, I forgot to think ahead; so, um .... I now have a brand new 80psi leak in my plumbing!

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:44:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
Ah, that's a good idea (I already have the raw materials for that!).
As for a more permanent fix, what do you think about me putting one of these 3/4" slip-to-MHT (male hose thread?) fittings directly onto the white-and-green part sticking out of the existing PVC elbow?

That seems to be a looser fit than a normal PVC pipe dry fit; but with lots of "glue", I think it might work.
Is it possible to pry out that green endcap & just place the slip fitting over the remaining white part? (Or do I need to cut off the entire elbow and start again with the slip:slip coupling)?
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:36:46 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I took one of the simplest routes possible; just to see if it would work.

I glued a slip-to-MHT (male hose thread) directly onto the tubing friction fitting, using lots of the PVC solvent (since it was a loose fit, probably because God never intended me to glue a fitting on the outside of the tubing friction fitting):

Mostly I did it this way because, if the tubing press fitting isn't actually made of PVC, and if it therefore fails, I'll just cut it all off and, by doing so, only lose one fitting in the test.
Interestingly, using normal PVC primer & glue, it *seems* to be holding up.
Note: Substitute "img" for "640" for larger photos.
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 08:57:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

Lucky you. What nntp client are you using? Mine (Pan) just shows the URL. Nothing else. So I have to click on each and every photo to see them.
Maybe I should switch nntp clients to what you're using.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:09:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, Can I shove it back in?
At least temporarily?
To stop the leak?
Or is it a one-time-only compression fitting?

<interruption> Hi Danny, thanks for posting the great photos! Are you taking the photos and sending from your phone? </interruption>