What affects water heater efficiency?

I believe the PVC fluepipe on the non-powervent water heater was Tom.

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

Heat Man , you need to keep up here. Of course I don`t believe him.

Dangerous Dave comes here spouting off on non code, dangerous, stupid, ideas that someone might adopt because they trust him and end up harming themselves. Someone has to call out dave when he posts crap. The scary thing is I will bet he sells it.

Reply to
m Ransley

'Dave , if-when the damper sticks shut you get flue gas in the building, not up the chimney, Right. A mechanical damper retrofit without saftey shut off controls ??'

ME: Rans, YEP ! Back in the 1980's during the Energy Crunch, mechanical flue dampers were very very popular . I personally never had one that stuck closed . Often, installers would put in draft diverter spill switches ...but most installers did not.

'I don`t buy your logic, and have never heard of that option offered as OEM or aftermarket. =A0=A0Sounds like dangerous advise , post facts. '

ME: You dont have 'to buy my logic'...cause it isnt ' my logic ; do a google and youll soon find these as an aftermarket item. All my wholesalers still sell them. In fact, i have about 5 or 6 used ones in my shop -- so, please dont be arrogant by inferring they dont exist.

Reply to
HVAC fella

HVAC idiot (I will NOT call him Fella) told Mark the garbage about the Dampers and Ransley posted the question on the Wall. I'm sure Ransley was simply looking for confirmation of what the Idiot said. The people on the Wall said what everyone else (but the Idiot) told him, that dampers on the WH's and furnaces didn't work. Ransley's a real idiot if he beleives what HVACIdiot sez....

The conversation's on WH dampers isn't worth the bandwidth it's taking up.

Reply to
HeatMan

'I was just asking about something that I felt was dangerous to do by putting a mechnical Damper on a residentiual Hot water tank not set up for it. '

ME: Theyve been on water heaters for many decades, as well as 65 percent efficiency gas furnaces. They are especially popular in Germany. ( Disclaimer : I didnt make them, never have, do not own stock in manufacturers that do make them STILL , and i am not responsible for them appearing in my Wholesalers catalogues).

Reply to
HVAC fella

'Dangerous Dave comes here spouting off on non code, dangerous, stupid, ideas that someone might adopt because they trust him and end up harming themselves.'

ME: Not true ; you are not in the hvac trade and you know little about it including whats code and what isnt. Further, you are not really interested in finding out the truth about things , such as mechanical flue dampers which have been around for at least 50 years...otherwise you would have one a Google search instead of badgering me without cause. Again..i offer a truce with you Ransley as i believe the bad blood between us is unnecessary and unhealthy.

Reply to
HVAC fella

'Fella , I was just asking about something that.....'

ME: My name is Davey. Not 'fella' !

'now if the damper fails to open and flame comes on. Your house is going to get to test your CO detector that I hope you have installed. Living on the edge every day is not my ideal of safety living. TURTLE'

ME: If i were installing one, id do it with spill switches on the draft diverter along with a gas line solenoid valve such as what the manufacturer Effikal (sp.?) offers. Having a workable CO detector is mandatory for safe living and it should be tested monthly.

Reply to
HVAC fella

Only after the fact do you include saftey switches in your pitch.

After what you said was proven unsafe.

Over the last 20 yrs alot of things have been proven unsafe, you are one of them.

Reply to
m Ransley

You ain't got a clue, do you?

ME: Rans, YEP ! Back in the 1980's during the Energy Crunch, mechanical flue dampers were very very popular . I personally never had one that stuck closed . Often, installers would put in draft diverter spill switches ...but most installers did not.

'I don`t buy your logic, and have never heard of that option offered as OEM or aftermarket. Sounds like dangerous advise , post facts. '

ME: You dont have 'to buy my logic'...cause it isnt ' my logic ; do a google and youll soon find these as an aftermarket item. All my wholesalers still sell them. In fact, i have about 5 or 6 used ones in my shop -- so, please dont be arrogant by inferring they dont exist.

Reply to
HeatMan

'You ain't got a clue, do you? '

ME: Yes Sir..sure do. Have you been in business for yourself for 19 years and in the hvac trade since 1974 ?? O. I. C. ....

Reply to
HVAC fella

'Only after the fact do you include saftey switches in your pitch. =A0=A0=A0=A0After what you said was proven unsafe. =A0=A0=A0=A0Over the last 20 yrs alot of things have been proven unsafe, you are one of them.'

ME: I havent installed any mechanical flue dampers in a long time..but, if i did today, it would include spill switches. If anything 'was proven' unsafe...it would be directed toward the manufacturers of mechanical flue dampers..and not myself. Im just the messenger Rans. Now then....about our truce ; what is holding you back ?

Reply to
HVAC fella

You HVAC "pros" don't like it when non-pros post on alt.hvac.

Why do you guys insist on bringing your pissing contests over to here????

Doug

Reply to
Doug

This is Turtle.

Now that you say that i do seem to remember him somewhere in the middle of it. that was a good one to think about having a pvc vent pipe on your non-power vent type hot water tank. Maybe dave was over at Tom's house too much breathing the vapors.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I'm not as old as you. That should tell you that I do know the current ideas, not the old ineffectual ones....

I'm also not ever called a hack. You are. Constantly.

You ideas can really contribute to getting someone killed.

Reply to
HeatMan

Doug,

The HVAC idiot brought all this up. Part of what I'm saying is that Fella is an idiot and a hack. He's been requested to show proof of licensing and insurance and ignores all such requests.

Reply to
HeatMan

When in the f*ck are you going to change to your new and much more suitable webtv nic: HACK fella?

AND since when has dimwitted dave EVER been interested in the truth?

Tell us dave why do you still say Charles Darwin and Aldous Huxley were "associates" (you have often posted such information) when they weren't even alive at the same time?

Reply to
fundies sux

Hay HACK fella..stay away from those kids. OK?

Interesting post from Dave (aka decencyadvocate)

Reply to
fundies sux