What about a national battery?

Page 2 of 2

the top of the hill and run it through a turbine when you want the energy back. The advantage is, rainfall gives you free energy.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

I believe there are a few of those pumped storage hydroelectric systems <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity> The enormous losses during pumping and regeneration seem to make this very inefficient but apparently the differences between off-peak and peak rates can make it economical. Not relly useful for individuals or small coomunities, I'd think. The flywheel seems practical, but of course the amounts of energy stored may make the system rather dangerous when (not if) it malfunctions. I've seen the damage when ultracentrifuges go poof, and that was really very little mass.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm thinking sabotage could be pretty ugly, too.
nate

Actually, it's (1/2) mass * velocity squared.

True, but that "squared" term matters.

I'd like to see a citation for that.

Good memory. I remembered the Swiss flywheel buses too and that's why I posted the flywheel idea. The buses were described many years ago -- in Popular Science Magazine, I think. Google "Flywheel buses"; there are some references listed.
Tomsic
mike unnecessarily full-quoted:

I wonder if a simple spring mechanism couldn't be used during breaking, then use that energy to get the bus moving again.
Home Guy wrote:

it IS a spring. AKA hydraulic accumulator
some people who I cannot keep track of wrote:

Google or wikipedia for "gyrobus" The "route" BTW was only about 6 km.

On Nov 18, 6:45pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I'd like to see one make a turn at 40mph.

Depending on the rotation axis, it may not be ABLE to turn.
Giant gyroscopes are used on ocean liners and warships to minimize roll.
It's for the children... And those with weak stomachs.

Possibly the bus was traveling a rather flat route, and the flywheel turning in a horizontal plane.
Nopw what would happen if the bearings seized?
--
Best regards
Han

Counter-rotating disks.

The passengers get dizzy (and a little bruised up).
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 03:56:27 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Counter-rotating gyros. (why did I just get hungry?)

Interesting read. I hadn't realized anyone was stupid enough to actually try it.

Yep, there were those (and apparently still are those) who said it couldn't be done.
The busses did, however, work and worked for a number of years.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should (see: wind power, electric cars, Solyndra, or any of a number of such leftist wonders).

Aw, just a proof of concept.
Just read of a company that makes a flywheel car differential. When braking, energy is stored in the flywheel. Upon acceleration, energy stored in the differential is transferred to the wheels. The company reports a 21% improvement in gas milage.
On 11/18/2011 1:56 PM, Tomsic wrote:

When I was out in the Pacific at a missile range, some of the computer systems on one island had backup power that utilized flywheels. I never got a look at them and don't know for how long the motor generator units were able to provide power to the systems but they had been around for years. Of course all the primary power was supplied by big EMD diesel generators at the power house.
TDD