What 36" Ridgid pipe wrench to keep, AL vs. Iron

I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have both aluminum and steel wrenches. For direct hand power only I prefer the aluminum. If I need to add a 6-8 foot cheater bar like to turn an axle on a stuck moss in a cotton gin I would go with the steel hands down. For plumbing around the house I always reach for the aluminum ones.

P.S. Anybody besides me ever try to unstick a stuck moss during a cotton fire to get the burning material out and save the screens?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You already know the answer to this, you just don't know you know..............

Look at both of them. Which one looks the best?

Keep that one.

If it is Ridgid, that is like keeping a Starrett tool. It's a no brainer.

And keep in mind in the future for that ONE time when you will actually need two 36" wrenches, and it will pay for all the time it has sat in the corner........... For a lot of years, I had a 36" Crescent wrench I got from my Dad. It got lots of comments regarding overkill, but when you needed it, nothing else would do.

Unless you are a plumber reefing on pipes all day, even the cheap Chinese stuff will work. But if you can get a deal on a quality tool, that's good, too.

Just a thought from my humble experiences.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

Closest i came is a fire in a large round hay baler. Tried to save the baler and lost it. Did manage to disconnect and save the tractor. Went on to lose 35 acres of wind rowed and large hay bales.

That was 40 years ago. I still carry a 100# inverted LP tank filled with water and compressed air with a water hose and nozzle when ever using any machine processing dry hay/straw.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I agree. And I live and have worked in the oil fields

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Would one of those pressure tanks for wells work better ? Just charge it up close attached (by you) faucet and you're ready to go.

Reply to
D.A. Tsenuf

There are no faucets in the middle of a hay field.

There are often rabbits. Perhaps that was what you were thinking about?

Reply to
HeyBub

1) Install a garden hose faucet on the pressure tank 2) Connect to faucet house on house system 3) Charge tank 4) Disconnect from house system,

When water is needed open faucet on tank.. (Pressure in tank will make water come out...)

Reply to
D.A. Tsenuf

Think about it. If you put ONLY water in the tank, AND USING WATER ONLY TO PRESSURIZE THE TANK, what kind of pressure would you then have to add that would make all the water come out when needed? Remember, water is not compressible. If I figure it right, either very little pressure could be added to the tank to make the water flow out, and not even the contents of the tank would dump entirely, or the tank would rupture under the pressure.

Now, take the same tank. Fill it 80% full of water. Add air to the tank's airspace. What pressure would you have to add to make all the water flow out driven by the air? Any math hounds here that can say? I'd say that it would be a very low amount of pressure to empty the tank, and more pressure if you wanted to spray with authority.

My point is that the GAS is the important part of the equation, and the second poster seems to be saying it is the water that is charging the tank. I say it is the compressed air.

Class?

Class?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So you don't even know what a "pressure tank", used in a well system is ? Why don't you look it up and then come back to us...

(what a maroon)...

Reply to
D.A. Tsenuf

"D.A. Tsenuf" wrote

Well, I always thought that in order for a pressure tank to work, there had to be some room for the pressure. Since most liquids are not compressible, that would require an airspace or a tank that expands, at least according to my thinking. IIRC, a lot of tanks have bladders or airspaces. I do know that air hammer reliefs are common to deal with air in water systems.

You have also gotten way away from the original topic, that being of how to pressurize a tank for remote use. You say that you can just put pressure in there with no air space. I say that the tank would burst before it could hold enough pressure to even void itself of its contents.

Perhaps you could share some of your infinite knowledge, providing you are educated enough to put your thoughts into words so that we of the unwashed rabble might read them and ponder your take on this. OR, you could quote this entire conversation with no snippage, just scores of lines of discussion with a two sentence reply that offers no information whatsoever on the original question, indicating either a lack of knowledge of the subject, or a lack of knowledge of how to conduct a social conversation. Your pick, Sparky.

Now, I could be entirely wrong. And I would much rather hear you explaining why I am wrong, and what the correct answer is than using insults or words that I do not comprehend.

What is a maroon? I mean, I know it is an adjective to describe color, but I have not seen it used as a noun. Maybe you will get to that in next year's English, provided you take another year of English.

You may (or may not) notice above that is what I have done in answer to your adolescent response to my request for clarification of this concept. You will notice I am asking for other's opinions, a common thing for intelligent sensible educated people to do. I was also asking for more information, and an explanation.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, I've been on the sidelines but I read the original suggestion to use a pressure tank as exactly that--a charged pressure tank free from the piping system. One would _presume_ he intended charging the water side, yes, leaving the air side alone...

I would also tend to presume that's why the suggestion of it might work better than the simple tank charge used in the posting to which he responded.

OBTW, the (what a maroon) comes from one of the old, old cartoons--I forget which character/strip now, but that's the reference...

--

Reply to
dpb

Foghorn Leghorn.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Bugs Bunny is the reference to "maroon"...

As to pressure tanks, they are precharged with a bladder. When water is pumped in the bladder compresses the "pre-charged" air side. When the water is release the pressure from behind the bladder pushes the water out. Eliminates the need to pump air into a simple tank Can be had an most hardware and farm supply stores in a variety of sizes.

All you do is pump water in.

Reply to
D.A. Tsenuf

Well, I googled "how a well pressure tank works", and came up on the first hit with, " The well pressure tank system works under the principle of gases can be compressed while liquids cannot. As water fills the tank, ..."

Now what do I do?

BTW, a google for maroon shows a color, or a race of dark skinned mountain people. Were you making a racial slur?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, not according to THIS maroon.

hehe

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well there you go You actually knew the answer all along. So why spew so much ignorant cant ?

A pressure tank is pre-charged with a bladder separating the wet from the air side. I never stated ANYTHING about air space and the rest of your presumptions

I may be a Sparky, but then even a wet match qualifies compared to you. I am so sorry that you have not discovered to wonders of search engines on the internet Why don't you try your faverite one with the following "precharged pressure tank". Hell, even just plain "pressure tank" will point you in the right direction.

I'm so sorry that words like "pressure tank" are beyond your (claimed) ken.

It's a reference to a quote by a famous cartoon character As to my education in the Queen's English, it's probably more extensive than yours.

You sure use lots of words to state and demonstrate that you're clueless As to wanting an explanation. That's highly doubtful People who want info state their problem and then let others do the talking The exact opposite of what you have done.

Have a nice day.

Oh and thanks for demonstrating that you do qualify for that quote by Bugs Bunny "What a maroon" indeed...

Reply to
D.A. Tsenuf

As I read his post, he seemed to be saying that one could just fill up a tank with pressure, and then empty it when needed. He mentioned nothing of any air space. And since a lot of systems only have 50 psi water pressure, the airspace in there might not be enough to even void the contents of said container unless the airspace is adequate.

Maroon (people) Maroons (from the word marronage or American/Spanish cimarrón: "fugitive, runaway", lit. "living on mountaintops"; from Spanish cima: "top, summit") were runaway slaves in the West Indies, Central America, South America, and North America, who formed independent settlements together. The same designation has also become a derivation for the verb marooning.

Much more to read about them and their history at Wikipedia. However, I do not believe the poster was referring to this group of people, calling me a "maroon." I really just think he/she/it could not spell "moron."

Anyway, I seem to be somewhat right on the original point of an air space in a pressure tank.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How about Bugs Bunny-- What an ignoranimus.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On 7/19/2011 8:16 AM, Steve B wrote: ...

Well, I'll only reply that by referring to "pressure tank" to me it was quite clear he was referring to a standard well-system diaphragm/bladder tank that _does_ have (precharged) air space and by calling it a pressure tank the reference to the airspace is implicit w/o needing to be explicitly referred to.

As for the content voiding, as long as the pressure is above ambient, the water will have a positive pressure and be voided, albeit if only slowly.

With the above presume 50psi, it would start at that and fall almost directly in proportion to the voided volume (at these pressures, not much variance from ideal gas) change. So, the smaller the air volume relative to the contained water, yes, the faster the pressure will drop to near ambient (or whatever was the precharge pressure if greater than atmospheric.

Whatever, my take is you're off base in criticism of the poster as being unaware of what is going on...

Well, I think you're missing the intent there, too... :)

Well, yes...your problem w/ the other poster is that he (imo, somewhat rightfully) took a little peeve at being poked w/ a sharp stick for little reason...

--

Reply to
dpb