Wetbed on shower floor a necessity?

Hi,

My contractor is not planning to use a wet bed on my bathroom floor and will instead use some kind of a backerboard (and also mentioned the name "Schluter" although I understand it to be a shower floor product).

I will live in this house for another 5-10 years.

My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Times and technologies change. Wet bed is the old way to do it. Now you can go out and buy fiber reinforced cement backer board that's the same material as a wet bed, only reinforced and in sheet form. It's quicker and easier to install. Joints are taped and plastered just like drywall, but using thinset mortar and fiber tape. A layer of thinset mortar to bed the tiles in, and you're done.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I would post your question on the forums at:

That forum has a great group of professional and DYI tile installers.

I believe that a pr> Hi,

Reply to
noname87

Most backer board and thinset is not waterproof. A sealing layer or liner is still needed.

Reply to
Bob F

Take a look here.

I believe that Schluter has the finest systems and parts to facilitate tile installation. I've used it frequently in my home.

The key, as with all technologies, is the proper use. All to often I see contractors open the box, remove and discard the instructions, and then "do it the way I've always done it." This is where the problems start.

Boden

Reply to
Boden