Wetbed on shower floor a necessity?

Hi,
My contractor is not planning to use a wet bed on my bathroom floor and will instead use some kind of a backerboard (and also mentioned the name "Schluter" although I understand it to be a shower floor product).
I will live in this house for another 5-10 years.
My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

Times and technologies change. Wet bed is the old way to do it. Now you can go out and buy fiber reinforced cement backer board that's the same material as a wet bed, only reinforced and in sheet form. It's quicker and easier to install. Joints are taped and plastered just like drywall, but using thinset mortar and fiber tape. A layer of thinset mortar to bed the tiles in, and you're done.

Most backer board and thinset is not waterproof. A sealing layer or liner is still needed.
I would post your question on the forums at: www.johnbridge.com That forum has a great group of professional and DYI tile installers.
I believe that a properly installed Schluter system will be a high quality installation. This is not a cheap and dirty system. That the tile installer suggested it indicated that he has kept up with his profession. But I could be wrong. Ask the pros at the site above.

Aaron Fude wrote:

http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx
I believe that Schluter has the finest systems and parts to facilitate tile installation. I've used it frequently in my home.
The key, as with all technologies, is the proper use. All to often I see contractors open the box, remove and discard the instructions, and then "do it the way I've always done it." This is where the problems start.
Boden