Wet Wallboard - want to consolidate / stiffen

I have an old house. Person before me tiled over drywall (Not at least greenboard!). I had a leak in the pipe to showhead that got the drywall wet. Tile was put on with good layer of mastic so the mastic itself is still okay. However after a week of running a dehumidifier the paper has peeled away in spots and drywall is still crumbly. The tile is still straight and not sagging and it's only a 2' x 3' portion. I don't want to retile. So I am looking for a solution to strenghten the drywall. I am thinking some good sealer paint might act as a glue, but could act as a water trap to make matters worse? Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
jnkniner

Agreed,however asking for alternatives seems to fit the bill too on a DiY site..

text -

Reply to
Dean